RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My power awning has stopped working. there is no power to…

Customer Question
My power awning has...

My power awning has stopped working. there is no power to the motor but no fuses or breakers have been tripped.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It is consistient

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2013 forest river patriot 23bd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying myself first. I've chnaged the motor, and verified that power is not reaching the motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
7/29/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

what would you like to know

T​he problem on many of these is that the shortstop breaker controlling that circuit has tripped and needs to be reset. Usually low incoming DC voltage to the batteries is the problem. I am adding a link to one for you so you know what to look for. By code, these have to be within 18" of the batteries. Most of the time they have a red rubber cover over them. Small black button on the end you push in to reset it. Let me know what you find and we can go from there. A small digital multimeter is very helpful for this. About $20 or so at most hardware stores. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&thid=OIP.BqT81_i2snOEu0WIlAltMAEsEY&q=shortstop+breaker+photo&simid=608020010408479711&selectedIndex=0

One way to tell if that is the issue is that the voltage on both posts is not the same. When it works they should be the same. When you are plugged into shore power and the converter is putting out the correct voltage you should see about 13.7 VDC there at the batteries. If you have a slideout and only one battery this is going to lead to problems. Most any RV with power equipment needs at least two batteries due to motor operated systems using so much power. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

I found the shortstop breaker under the trailer near the front. There were two of them...neither was tripped. At the moment I do not have a battery installed. I am plugged into an outlet at my home. All the electric circuits in the trailer are working except the power awning.
There is a short stop breaker in near the awning switch. I removed this and had it tested at the RV store nearby. they tell me that it is good.

You can't run a power awning or any slideout motor with just the converter providing the power. You will burn something up for sure. Either the motor or the converter!

The trailer is plugged into a 30 amp outlet...shouldn't that be sufficient to run the entire electrical system on the trailer?
There are no fuses or breakers (that I can see at the panel) that have been tripped. are there other breakers or relays somewhere else I should look for?

No. Motors take a lot of amperage. A converter puts out the voltage but has no real amperage capability for running motors. That is why you should have two batteries in this. Without those you are going to ruin either the motor or the converter. Most all these installations are using a shortstop breaker. If you have a multimeter then testing is easy.

Just checking back to see if perhaps you missed my previous response to your question? Not hard to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend this please let me know. Thanks!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification