Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Not starting. Can not find a seperate starter solenoid. The

Customer Question

Not starting. Can not find a seperate starter solenoid. The steps have also stopped working since this has happened. Docking lights have also lost power.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It's just lost. Not getting any power. Engine will start if starter is jumped.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 94 American eagle dream by fleetwood
JA: What year is your Fleetwood?
Customer: 1994
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: By passed ignition switch. Can jump starter and engine starts but steps and lights don't work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just need answers as to what we should do next and if it has a neutral safety switch.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Have you verified the chassis battery voltage with a volt meter???

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Battery is good. Ground is good. It starts if starter is jumped.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But when it starts there is still no power to stairs or docking lights.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

What is the voltage at the battery??? IF the voltage is good follow the cables and see if there is a breaker or solenoid in line with one of the cables, if you see the solenoid it will have two LARGE posts on it and each side should have voltage, if only one side has voltage what you can do is get an inuslated wire and jump the LARGE posts and see if all your power comes on, the breakers and or solenoid might be inside an outside battery box. To check the breakers you would want to see the same voltage on each post to chassis ground, below is a picture, most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when it trips, I dubt it is a neutral safety as the steps and docking lights do not work, have to follow the path of the voltage from the battery, through the solenoid and breakers.

DO you have an Allison transmission and if you do is the pad lighting up??? Showing the gear.?

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
12.9 is battery voltage. Yes we have a Allison transmission and the pad is lighting up showing the gear.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

OK

IS the dash lighting up as well when you turn the key on or is it dead?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
everything works. And will run if starter is jumped alternator putting out 14.1 volts when running
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

And are you able to drive the unit normally once you get it started?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
drives fine.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It just won't start with the key the docking lights, stairs, and entry lights don't work.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

OK

It sounds like maybe you have 2 issues or they possibly can be tied together... Get a 12 volt test light and turn the ignition key ON and probe all your fuses in your chassis fuse box, that box should be outside if this is a diesel pusher, check for any tripped breakers, below is a picture, IF you see any at all you should have voltage on each post to chassis ground. IF the voltage is much lower on one side then it could be the problem, jump the posts on the breaker and see if everything works....

I think if it was a safety it would shut or not allow you to drive it. Thinking this is a blown fuse or tripped breaker, a 12 volt test light will go a long way checking for power...

Breaker.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We've already checked all the fuses and they are all good.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have any wiring diagrams or service manuals?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Sorry I do not have any diagrams or prints, IF you like I can step out of the question to see if other experts will respond. My goal is for you to be satisfied.

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husbands a car mechanic owns his own business. so he knows to check most of the stuff mentioned. Would any of the other experts be able to provide a diagram?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Probably not but you never know, I do not know what information other experts have.....

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok if you could maybe see if someone else could assist us.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

No problem at all, I do not know when or if another expert will respond, they come and go daily.....

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could you tell me where the nuetral switch is located? Or starter relay?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anyway to get my money back