RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Problem with RV refrigerator, Dometic 2820 classic, Nothing,

Problem with RV refrigerator ...

Problem with RV refrigerator

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Dometic 2820 classic

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?

Looking for an expert in refrigerator repair

7/26/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 5 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Does the fridge come on and not cool or not come on at all?

Push in the power button. ***** *****ght on. Within 1-2 minutes get a click sound and then the amber "check" light comes on.I am not at the site of the refrigerator.

You want to get back to me when you are? I am here every day. Without knowing the make and model I can't direct you in what to check or how to correct this. All follow ups are included in our fee.

It is a Dometic 2820 Classic refrigerator. It is at a cabin where there is not any internet/cell service.
I internet service at the site.

O.K. So you push the on button and does it try to ignite or not?

It clicks and the ***** *****ghts come on. In minute or two the check light comes on. No cooling takes place.

So on LP mode that is usually an indication that the LP pressure is too low or the board may not be sensing the flame and shutting down the gas valve and flow. A dirty burner can do this as well. Bugs or wasps get into that area as they love the smell of the ethyl mercaptan in the LP. The LP pressure is supposed to be checked at least once a year. Most shops have a manometer or you can just pick up a new one. Check that and then get back to me if you need more.

This may or may not make sense...as far as I know there is no visible flame.
Also, it appears the control board senses the "on" switch but can't actually ignite.

If there is no gas flow at all it can be a bad valve which is rare or the board may not be sending a signal to the valve. If the board is bad I would go with an aftermarket board made by Dinosaur Electronics as they are far superior to the OEM boards.

There doesn't appear to be a pilot light. Have never seen one even when it worked. That make sense?

This doesn't have a pilot light. It has electronic ignition which comes on when LP mode is chosen. I am adding a link to the User's Manual for this model. And I will grab a copy of the Service Manual that applies as well. http://www.americanrvcompany.com/assets/images/Dometic/RM2820_2620.pdf

Some of the parts are slightly different, but the operation is the same as these. http://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf

Thank you for the manuals.

Y​ou are most welcome! Get back to me if you need more here.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification