RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Our Atwood 7920-11 furnace will run for about 5 minutes then

Customer Question
kicks off, with the red...
our Atwood 7920-11 furnace will run for about 5 minutes then kicks off, with the red lights flashing. If I wait a few minutes and reset it, the furnace will run again - but will again kick off.
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: It's the light on the circuit board, just constantly blinks.
JA: What is the model of your '11 RV?
Customer: 2013 Jayco X17Z hybrid
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have not tried anything yet. Was thinking of taking it down to a RV dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
7/26/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

OK

That can be from several things. From your description it sounds like the hi limit switch is kicking out due to overheating. That can from from an air flow problem, low LP pressure at the tank regulator which causes it to run lean or some debris left over from construction getting into the screen in the gas valve. Those would be the most common causes of that. It might be just a limit switch that is failing. Doesn't happen that often, but it does once in awhile. Have you had the LP pressure at the tank regulator checked recently? It should be done at least once a year.

No have not had the pressure checked. Purchased the RV privately a couple of months ago and this happened on the first trip requiring heat overnight.

I​ am adding a link to the Atwood Service Manual for you. Print that out so you have it. This would explain much of what I just mentioned. The regulator pressure can be checked with a manometer and most shops would have one if you take it in for testing. If you do need a new one, Marshall makes about the best one. Not expensive and adjustable. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

One way to tell is to turn on one stovetop burner on high and see if you have any yellow or red in the flame tips. That can be an indication of low pressure. It may be that the pressure just didn't come up to full right away. That can happen on one that has been sitting for a long period.

It may be a control board that is failing or even low incoming DC voltage if you were dry camping without any outside power.

If you are going to do much dry camping you should have at least two batteries and perhaps a solar panel or two to keep them charged up. A furnace motor will run down one battery very quickly. Get a small digital multimeter at your local hardware store and keep it in the RV when you go out. With that we can test a lot of what I just told you. Not expensive and easy to use.

The stovetop burners show blue flame only. We were hooked up to a 30 A electrical service. Also I tried the 2-way fridge on propane first and it worked very well. So maybe it's a circuit board issue?

Could be. Those are made in China and not very reliable. If you do get a replacement you should get one made by Dinosaur Electronics in Oregon. They are the "Gold Standard" of control boards. I only use those in my shop for any control board replacement.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue?

Still working on it. I noticed in the Atwood guide that the LP pressure can be significantly affected by outside temperature. The night I had the problem, it went down to 5 celcius and the tanks are only about 50% full. So I thought maybe I will fill the tanks and try it on another colder night. The other appliances fridge and stove however work very well so it may not be a pressure problem. Would I not have a problem with the other appliances too?

Not necessarily. Both the stovetop and the water heater have additional regulators in them to further reduce the pressure. As long as the tanks were half full you should be fine. Only when they get below about 20% is this a problem. More likely the board.

J​ust checking back in to see if you are able to resolve this or not? If you need more, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi Randall
I am up in northern NB at my other camp; have no access to internet (came into town this morning). It will be another week before I can address the issues with the TT. I do have a small multimeter but it is not digital. I suspect you are right regarding the probability of a bad board. Will touch base again in about a week.

10-4

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification