Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I am driving on the interstate highway going 70 mph and my

Customer Question

Hi I am driving on the interstate highway going 70 mph and my steering wheel starts to really shake and there is also a squeal coming from between the two seats.It scared me so I'm sitting at a stop. Help! Thanks. Debbie
JA: How often does the vibration occur, and when did you last have the tires balanced?
Customer: Tires balanced I don't know. I just purchased this RV about 3 months ago. And this is the second time I have taken it. And it didn't start the vibration until about an hour after we were driving.
JA: What is the model of your '70 RV?
Customer: It is a 2009 Coachman
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We put air in the shocks checked air pressure. Also when I would slow to around 60 or so it almost stopped the vibration
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now. Thanks Pearl
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Is this a really bad vibration like dangerous or more subtle that tickles?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is definitely more than a tickle. It could be dangerous if I got some strong wind I think.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have stopped at a rest area for the night can I call you tomorrow and hopefully you can hear the sound

I doubt I could diagnose any better over a phone.

Since the concern is almost gone below 60 and bad around 70. It is for sure something spinning either out of ba***** *****ke a wheel weight that has come off. A concern with worn or damaged suspension and steering components causing an alignment concern like incorrect toe setting. See if the tires are wearing uneven or if the tire treads are feathered. The alignment is to blame if so. I would suggest you drive at a safe speed to aplace that can check it over and or ride with you to experience this.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have checked there are no RV places open tomorrow would a tire store like Discount Tire be able to tell me about the problem they could look under it for alignment issues and the Tire issues

Yes a tire store could at least give you a visual inspection. Also a tractor trailer repair site near the interstate could. Used one myself today. We towed my travel trailer in TN. I had a belt pulley fail. I had bought the pulley at a parts store but needed a long 1/2 ratchet to loosen the tensioner. A semi shop let me borrow there tool and I did the repair in there parking lot.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris