Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Refrigerator had ammonia leak. Had refrigerator

Refrigerator had ammonia leak. Had refrigerator professionally come and disconnect refrig unit from gas and electric. Would like to remove the refrig.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: trailer is a 2001 sprinter 33' with bunk room
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The trailer is in a park and is stationary. Bought a new refrg and put it in the attached 3 season room. Would like to remove old refrig and turn space into storage - would like to do our self if possible
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think that's it - unless you can think of something I bet you have more experience with these issues

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That isn't too hard. What is the make and model of the fridge? Once I have that I can give you the step by step instruction on how to remove it. Be sure you sell it for salvage as it does have value.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know is is a Domestic - I don't have the other information readily available its at the trailer. Its at the trailer -the molding seems to be attached to the refrig. If you need more info to answer I will have to recontact site at a later date. sorry

Well, it would help to know that as I can give you specific instructions on what to take loose and where the screws are located. You will need a 3/8" reverse flare plug for the LP line and some material to block off the air vent on top and the side. The wiring can be capped off. I wouldn't make these too permanent so if you sell the trailer later and someone wants an RV fridge again they can do that easily. You can return to this posting thread at any time with that I can can supply a manual with the exploded view and location of the screws holding this in. No time limit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK I'll do that - I did have the gas and electric professionally terminated already - so I'll get you the make an model.
Thanks

You are quite welcome! Get back to me with that and I will give you the exact steps to remove this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Randall - Refrigerator Dometic - 120 VAC - 12 VDC - Model 2WAY - Part No#(###) ###-####01
Trailer Sprinter 2001 33' Sprinter Please let me know if you need any other information so we can remove the refrigerator - gas and electric have been capped off

That isn't the model number. It is on the inside of the fridge. It should begin with an "RM" and then 3 or 4 numbers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Randall - Refrig specs below
Model RM 2652
Prod# ***** 14 40-04
Ser# 10300028
Install only with Kit No. 4APlease let me know if you need anything else
Paula

Thanks, Paula. There are usually two screws in the rear. One at the end or each leg. Those come out. On the front there are usually two screws on each side covered by a plastic cap. Take the caps off and remove those. Then the upper control board can be taken down as it just clips into that area OR has two small screws that hold it in. One on each side. Once that is removed, you can access the two top screws (if they installed those). Take the bottom trim off under the door. There can be two more screws there. Some of these are optional and not all OEMs put them all in. If you need more here, please get back to me. Sometimes they use some silicone along the bottom edge and that may have to be cut loose in order to slide the fridge forward and out of the enclosure. Take the doors off and empty the shelves too. The top bolt is a 10 mm bolt and so is the middle one once you get the upper door off. Hopefully, this will come out your door without modification. Let me know if it won't.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is a plasitic trim all around the front of the refrig does it just pop out?
When we exmained the back by removing the exterior plastic you cannot see any legs or screws.
You mentioned a diagram could you please send it?
Thanks

That plastic trim on the front stays there. The legs on the rears are on each side and lay flat on the bottom of the enclosure. One larger screw in each one. May be convered with some sealer that has to be removed. I will see if I can find a diagram for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Randall I think we need the diagram - We do not see any screw covered caps - That's why we thought the plastic molding in the front needs to come off.

I​ will see what I can find. Worst case, have a local mobile tech come over and take this out. Only takes about 15 minutes. Attach a few photos of the front area to your post using the paper clip icon if you can.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Randall I contacted this site because I do not know of any local techs and everyone I have spoken to does not seem to know anyone who can do it. The trailer maintenance contractor who comes to the park will not do it.

S​ee the attached link for the exploded view of the fridge. This has gone through a lot of revisions, so if you don't have the plastic plugs on the two sides it is just going to be the screws on top and bottom. That would be 4 total in the front and two in the back. http://www.laurelhurstdistributors.com/parts/refrigerators/dometic/RM2652_2.html

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank-you Randall I'll give this a try. Worst case with the diagram I should be able to have someone more mechanical help me. Have a great Tuesday.

T​hanks, Paula. Should be 4 screws in the front. Two on top and two on the bottom and two in the rear.