gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

2004 model 31, 2004 model 31DA. House batt shows 0 even

Customer Question

2004 model 31
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2004 model 31DA. House batt shows 0 even though batts are fresh and fully charged. Fuse appears to be good. Batt disconnect switch appears good. Trouble is I can't start generator alone, I need to have the engine ignition switch on.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: All connections are clean. These are new batteries. When I charged both 6 volt and re-connected to wiring, the battery monitor was Green. I then tried to start the 4.0 generator and the battery than went from green to red. I reinstalled my battery charger and they were reading 96 % charged. The only way I can start the generator is by turning the ignition switch to the "ON" position. This really has me "stomped"
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My "volt"? I've buzzed the wiring \back to the generator and it appears good. When I disconnect the house batteries at the switch I hear a click on the firewall where the charging switches and fuses are located above the radiator. I checked all the fuses there and in the fuse bank below the refrigerator, and all appear good.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Recently I changed the in house lighting bulbs to LED, but I don't think this would have any impact. About two months ago I had a problem with the water pump not working at the monitor station above the stove, but the switch in the bathroom worked. I took down the range hood and found that a wire had pulled away from the wire nut. After reattaching the wire and nut together the panel lights all came on and the water pump worked from that position.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

A​re these hooked up in Series or Parallel? And do you have a small digital multimeter for actually reading the voltage? About $20 or so and easy to use.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
THEY ARE TWO 6VOLT TIED IN SERIES. AND YES I HAVE A DIGITAL. THE OUTPUT OF BOTH BATTERIES IS A LITTLE ABOVE 12 VOLTS. I HAVE 12 VOLTS AT THE STARTER.
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

W​hat is the DC voltage on either side of the disconnect solenoid when you are plugged into shore power OR have the generator running?

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

J​ust checking back in to see if perhaps you may have missed my earlier responses to your question a few days ago? Easy enough to do with the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! And sometimes these end up in your spam file. Please let me know if I need to resend this information and answer to your question. Thanks!