RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 1995 Nash Travel trailer. Had an extension cord in…

We have a 1995...

We have a 1995 Nash Travel trailer. Had an extension cord in the external outlet. It got cut & shorted out. All the breakers under the fridge panel are ok. None were tripped I reset them all just in case. External outlet. Still no power. Is there possibly a GFI somewhere?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

NO power at all to the external outlet. Power inside is ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 RV?

I'll have to check. May take a few minutes. Dad's trailer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried nothing. Just thought we blew a fuse. Unless there is a circuit breaker outside of the main fuse box

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'll need to find the model info,

7/2/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So have you tried to plug this in direct with NO adapters or extension cords? OR are you using a new cord and the SAME adapter??

Robert

No adapter. Plugging a trouble light directly into the external outlet.

OK

What I mean are you plugged into a standard 110 outlet using an adapter on the main cord, I would think your trailer would have a 30 amp service, so to plug in with an extension cord you would need an adapter to make that happen, sorry just want to be clear of how you are plugged in.... I get you plugged a light into the external outlet and it worked.

Robert

The reason I am asking is sometimes the adapters can fail if you are using one. IF you are not using one and the RV is plugged in direct with NO extension cords or adapters then it sounds like it could be a GFI normally the GFI'S are in the bathroom and or galley but can be just about anywhere else including the outside so look high and low. You should only have one main breaker panel inside for all the AC power. I would strongly advise to try and plug in direct if you can to eliminate the supply source a bad adapter or cord. The AC power should come in right from the supply source to the breaker panel. IF that voltage is not making it to the breaker panel then nothing is going to work. Might want to also check the connections at the breaker panel. IF you are using an extension cord the shorter the run the better, you can have line loss plugging into a 110 source if you are using cords. I understand it was working but it is not preferred to do it can cause problems trying to pull to many amps through an extension cord....

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns follow ups are included.......

Robert

Thank you for your time. I found the problem. There was a GFI in the bathroom that was tripped.

Good job, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Have a Safe and Happy 4th!!!

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic