RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a new RM 3962 refrigerator with an optional fan

We have a new...

We have a new RM 3962 refrigerator with an optional fan installed by the repair dealer. This fan has it's own on/off switch outside. Does this fan need go be on all the time?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

1998 Elite horse trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 RV?

Don't know the model of the trailer but the Dometic Royale Model RM3863 is the frig that was in there and that we replaced. It did not have another fan and worked all this time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We replaced the cooling unit of the originial frig but didn't cool well but the freezer worked. So we took it to Trans West Dealer for the new frig. It was installed but they said it also needed another fan for ventilation and one person said it had to be on all the time while another said not. Not sure what to believe and this was an expensive frig.

6/22/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When the fridge is running it should be on all the time, normally a thermal disc is used and when the temp on the back of the fridge gets to a certain point the fan will kick on and run, when it cools off the fan stops. IF you have a fan with a manual switch then I would just leave it on while you are using the fridge, it is not going to hurt anything and help with air circulation on the back of the fridge which is critical. Only turn it off when not in use...

Hope this helps some, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Does the frig come with the fan that goes on and off automatically? It seems this was installed for added ventilation. We have our frig on all the time. Either plugged in or it goes to gas. We worry about our battery going down and then not being able to use our hydraulic jack when not plugged in.
Phone call session started

I just tried calling you? Will try again.

Click HERE see page 21...