Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We have 2001 27' Wilderness that the inside seal to the

We have 2001 27' Wilderness that the inside seal to the slideout is coming off and needs to be replaced I was told the best way to replace is to remove the trim to exposed the wall where it will stick on. I cannot figure out how it comes off
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2001 Fleetwood Wilderness
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a service manual that I can get a copy of.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Just to be clear........we are talking about the inside dust seal and not the outside wiper seal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Iwas told easiest way to replace was to remove the inside frame support to get to the wall. I can't figure how to remove it. are there hidden screws that secure it to the wall of the slideout.

Most of these either have a double sided sticky tape OR they snap into a track. There are quite a few different styles and shapes and lengths. Do you have a photo of your setup? I am trying to recall if I have ever seen one on this model in my shop. Most have only an outside wiper seal. And you have both here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mine has the inside of the frame wiper seal which will also need to be replaced at some time. If I can attach a external wiper to the fiberglass side which would make life easier. Back to the inside seal it looks like someone (not the original owner) tried to glue it on. I have ordered a peel and stick type !' x 7/8 from Steel Rubber Products which with two people might be manageable. Its that frame that goes across and down the side that has me stumped I do want to open a pandora box to problems. If I cannot replace the wiper seals with external I will have to remove the slideout to replace the inside frame of the trailer seals.

Most coaches ONLY have an outside seal and those are much easier to replace. I am wondering if someone just tried to add an inside seal of the type you mentioned? Can you attach a photo to your post of the inside area? Use the paperclip icon for that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will send photos on Monday of inside and Outside

10-4. I will keep an eye out for those.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Randall! Attached are photos of what I have on my Trailer.

I don't see the seal that you need in those photos.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I mixed up my photos. Here is the rubber seal that goes between the inside frame of the side out I have idraped over the frame. On the outside of the tip show the where the seal is located between the slide out and the trailer on that one do you think I could attach to the side of the trailer with peel and stick wiper to remove water on the side of the slide out.

I think this would be easier to work out over a phone chat. Only $9 and not any time limits. We can discuss this at length.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry it took so long to get back to you. I accepted your phone offer and will be calling you a little later on. I have to change directions and complete my honey do list before I can return to the trailer problem with the seals and look forward to chatting with you on the solution. Will you email the number that you can be reached at. Dick

Not a problem. Text me a photo of your old seal and have the measurements if you can. That would help.

J​ust checking back to see if you ever found time to check on the seal issue?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Just after my last correspondence I was called up on fires in our area of Oregon. I drive a water tender during fire season. For now I am free to work on it again. So I will be in touch. DICK

T​hanks, Dick...........get back to me when you can and we appreciate all you fire fighters do for us!

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hi Randall! I did get the inside seal replaced on the interior trim then I notice that the one side of the slide was lower causing the seal not to touch the trim when the slider was extended out. I then went outside while still extended and lowered the slide out on the side that did not touch. That brought the inside trim up to where it would now close on the foam stripping. Then I close the slide out but it stayed out on both sides 11/2 inch. My thought was to move the slider in to close it all the way. I have read the manual on it (Power Gear/Lippert) that disengaging the non-motor side will align it but do you also disengage the motor side so that it will be flush to the side of the trailer allowing both sides to move at once. Can and should you do this when it is sticking out this faraway, to begin with. Dick

Y​ou can move the room on the arms.......if that is your question. You need it to be centered in the opening and "plumb" in the opening as much as possible. The be sure that when you measure both sides from the trim to the wall that it is within 1/4" of the same. Adjusting the conneting shaft between the tracks should fix that. Sometimes you have to take the pin out on the gear or the bolt and redrill the shaft to move it only 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees which may be too much. Make sense?

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier response to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! Please let me know if you need me to resend it or if you have already resolved the issue you asked about. Thanks!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you Randall with your help and american know how got it taken care of. Thank you! Dick

You are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our serivce here at Just Answer. And please take the time to enter in a Star Rating as that is the only way I get credit from the site for the time I spent assisting you with this question. Thanks!