Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Apparently our black holding tank got a crack in it and our

Customer Question

apparently our black holding tank got a crack in it and our dealer here in Virginia said that was very unusual for that to happen and we are unable to find that part for a 2006 5th wheel Montana. Can you help please.
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: it is not a car it is a 5th wheel trailer
JA: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband release the bottom panel to find out where it was leaking and discovered that there is a crack in the bottom side of the tank. We have talked to a few service mechanics at different dealers and they all say it is uncommon for this to happen that Keystone might stand good for it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We can't use our trailer until we can solve the problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

A​s an RV shop owner, I can tell you this is NOT that uncommon. I get at least one or two of these every year. These tanks are made of ABS plastic and brittle. They tend to break when moved with tanks full or at least partially so. That plastic is so stiff and brittle that they crack. Usually around the area where the pipe exits the tank. I can tell you that you have two choices here. Buy a replacement tank that is the same size and material and readily available OR buy one that is made of polypropylene material that is flexible and not subject to cracking. I use those exclusively when I make these repairs in my shop. You can have the option sometimes of getting a larger tank. It may require some modification to the way the tank is supported and some modifications to the piping, but in the long run it makes the unit "bulletproof" pretty much and the cost of the tanks is about the same. Most are about $250. I have helped a number of my customers here get one, if the dealer in there area won't assist. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more or help with the work if you are doing it yourself. All follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected. No time limit.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

A​nd I can pretty much assure you that Keystone won't do this under warranty. They use these because they are cheaper. Everything on these is about costs.