Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I just purchased a 2012 salem travel trailer. The batteries

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2012 salem travel trailer. The batteries are dead and I am replacing them. When I pulled the batteries they were connected to a positive and a negative ....but there was an additional white wire connected to nothing tied under the tounge. Does each battery have a ground from the trailer.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Battery is dead. I am looking for what 2nd ground is intended for
JA: What is the model of your '12 RV?
Customer: Salem. T25S
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am installing new batteries. 2nd cable was not attached to anything. Just wanting to confirm each battery has a ground
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

You should have one main ground for the battery, it sounds like you have 6 volt batteries if they were going pos to neg. hard to say what the second ground is for, sometimes items will be wired direct to the battery such as the slides, landing gear etc. What I would do is hook everything up and then do a systems check, make sure everything is working, make sure the battery is getting over 12 volts when you plug in, the slide-room is working, landing gear etc. IF one of the items mentioned is not working then I would hook it up. So just to be clear you should only have one main ground for both batteries, some items can be wired direct to the battery, they would be the items I mentioned.....

Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please select a STAR rating on the page.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert