RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a norcold 982 rv refrigerator the element is heating…

I have a norcold...

I have a norcold 982 rv refrigerator the element is heating on electric and there is no sign of ammonia leakage but it will not cool in the refrigerator. The flu is clean and rust free could you please she'd any information as to what might be wrong. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

It is a norcold 982 in a 2005 Jayco RV

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have it out of the hole sitting in the kitchen and yes I hope to do it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No the electric heating element is very hot

6/9/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you tried running in on LP and do you get the same results??

Robert

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response.....

SO When you have no cooling on BOTH LP and AC it could be the cooling unit or the thermistor. A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge, for a blockage you might not have ANY symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH LP and AC, the flue canister would get hot.

What you can try to do is disconnect the thermistor inside the fridge, the connector will go to the interior light, when the thermistor is disconnected it should default to full cooling if it cools the thermistor is at fault.

One final test you can do to tell if the cooling unit is bad is to hot wire the heating element. Get an old lamp cord and remove the AC heating element wires from the circuit board and wire nut them to the lamp cord and plug it in, shut the fridge off the box should get cold, no cooling bad cooling unit as you are providing a heat source and bypassing the controls, it should get cold after a hour or two. These cooling units can fail and I suspect that is what has happened.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

ROBERT

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have ore questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic