RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold N611. No cooling. Power to 12V element but no heat…

Norcold N611. No cooling. Power...
Norcold N611. No cooling. Power to 12V element but no heat so it's probably out. Yellow substance (powdery and some flakes, all small...no bigger flake than 1/8") but no odor. Assume lost coolant but, can't get the computer to even try to light on gas. Any hope it's the computer? Already performed board hard start with no change. Ever see yellow substance behind/below fridge when it WASN'T ammonia coolant?
6/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO I understand is it not cooling on AC power?

Did you have the 5 blinking light code on the display?

AND right now when you try and start it on LP does the electrode try to spark at all?

ROBERT

blinks 5 times, has and electric. Measured 12 volts at element but can detect no heat so assume element is out. When starting on gas...no attempt, no spark, no gas valve, nothing but same blinking light.

OK

With the blinking light it is not going to do anything at all, that is a safety feature and you have to do a hard reset at the control board, you pretty much jump a wire to ground hold it for about 15 seconds until you hear a click and it should stop blinking. You have to do the reset after the fridge has cooled. That could be a sign of a failed cooling unit as when a cooling unit ruptures or becomes blocked it gets VERY hot on the back side of the fridge and trips the hi limit which produces the flashing 5 code then the fridge is locked out until a reset is done. The yellowish powder could also be a red flag but it also could be rust. SO I would try the reset again. There are two procedures depending on the style of board you have. Click HERE and HERE to

view.

IF you really want to know if the cooling unit is at fault what you can do is hot wire the AC element direct, you can do that with an old lamp cord, cut the cord off and then remove the AC heating element wires from the board and wire nut them to the cord, plug the cord into an outlet and turn the fridge off and see if the box cools, NO COOLING BAD COOLING UNIT.

Doing this bypass all the controls and you are providing a heat source the box should cool, that is one way to tell 100% if the cooling unit failed. IF you do that I would stay near the fridge and after about 2 hours the box should be very cold.

Hope this helps you out, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

ROBERT

Instructions for hard restart said nothing abut 15 seconds duration. I just touched it a few times. Guess I should try that again. Only two way fridge so no AC element I believe...only 12V DC.

If it is a two way it would be an AC element, the three way would be AC and DC power.

I measured 12.6 V DC on the leads to the heating element and see only one element.

The fridge uses the DC power to turn on and work, the circuit board needs DC power. Let me get you a service manual....

Respond in second.

So click HERE and it will show BOTH the DC and AC heating element, it can be ohmed out. Page 18 shows the AC heating element.

When you have a three way fridge you will only have the DC element, if it is a two way then it works on LP and AC power, you have to be plugged into AC power for it to work. I am not sure where you are getting a reading from, the wires from the heating element come from the flue canister and go into the board. The fridge will also have an outlet it needs to be plugged into to work on AC power, if it was only DC power then you would not have a plug that gets plugged into an outlet. I have NEVER seen just a LP/DC two way it always is AC/LP with the DC as an option.

Well that confused me too...I thought you only got 12 Volt cooling when there was a charging voltage but this was just 12.6...not 13 or better.

I understand in order for the fridge to turn on it needs DC voltage for the board, the board controls the AC power to the element.

Try the reset again and hold the jumper to ground until you hear a click then the fault should go away and the fridge should work.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page. ROBERT

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic