RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Norcold N811FLT refrigerator in my camper. i

I have a Norcold...

I have a Norcold N811FLT refrigerator in my camper. i started the frig this past weekend and it started dripping ammonia out of the try under the gas burner. should i get a new one or try to have this one repaired

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

The model is N811FLT the serial is 12661545. the camper is a 2010 model

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I only have a Freon background,not Ammonia.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The frig worked 3 weeks ago when i bought the camper. this time it didn't work on 120V so i switched to LP Gas and that is when it started leaking the ammonia

5/30/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It is a sealed system and should NEVER leak I assume you also smelt the ammonia and that is a red flag the cooling unit has gone out.

SO the choices you have are to replace the cooling unit OR a new fridge, the cooling unit will cost 1/2 of what a new fridge will and the labor is more, in the shop it takes about 4 hours to repalce the cooling unit vs 1.5 hours to replace the fridge....

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Where or how can i get another new fridge? i ordered one about 15 years ago and installed it my self with no issues. i would like to do the same again.

Your best bet I would say is to call Camping World, they are an authorized dealer and if you are a member or sign up to be a member you can save big time money on a new fridge, I would give one a call and get a price quote, yes you could install it pretty easily......

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.....

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank you

No problem....