RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Dometic model 8501 serial number 93700037 works beuatiful…

My Dometic model 8501...

My Dometic model 8501 serial number 93700037 works beuatiful on 12 v or 110v but not on propane.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

R-Pod model 172, 2011

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 RV?

R-Pod model # 172

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

A rv shop has changed the regulator on the propane tank, chanfer the venturi, cleaned the flue, does not know what to do next.

Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 5 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is it trying to ignite or not?

The pilot light burns about 1/2 inch and is bright blue. the flue is hot as it is on power.There are two small fans near the cooling fins. I have never seen them on even in extreme hot weather..

So the boiler gets very warm on LP mode just like it does on AC mode? The fans are on a thermal switch that may not be working OR there may not be any power to that circuit. The flame should be "robust" and "dancing" on the burner and emitting a "dull roar" that you can hear. A soft blue flame is not hot enough.

How do I check if there is power to the fans? Is there a sensor that may not be working? I did have the mother board replaced about three years ago. When the venturi was dirty there was a larger yellow flame that obviously was not hot enough.

I will try to get to my computer later and send you some trouble shooting information and wiring diagrams. Give me a few hours as I am at my shop now and have no computer here.

I'm busy for most of the evening so will gladly look forward to some help later. Lorne

10-4

I haven't received any further information from you. I'm at home now.

I am not at my computer right now, but will be later. I will send those to you.

Thank you. To me it seems that there isn't a message asking for the burner to light.

When you push the button for LP nothing lights up?

I should be at my computer in about 30 minutes.

When I push the button for Propane the light switches to Propane. The temperature setting can be set from 1 - 5 lights. It does not seem to make any difference. Over time the interior warms up.

Is this just one LP or on all modes that it won't cool? See the attached link for a copy of the Dometic Service Manual for this model. Print this out so you have it. Let me know if this actually ignites on LP or not. If it works on AC mode then the LP pressure may be too low or some debris in the burner or feed line. We can address that once I know if this cools in other modes. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM8xxx.pdf

It freezes 500 ml water in about 4 hours both on 110v and on 12 v.. 12 runs the battery down in about 8 hoursWhen set on high on 110 v it wii freeze fruit in the crisper.

No error codes showing in LP mode?

None

Then it should be something in the LP line or the regulator pressure may be too low. That should be checked and adjusted at least once a year. Sometimes there is sawdust or other construction debris left in the lines prior to hooking up the appliances and it gets into the screen filter on the incoming side of the gas valve. That would be harder to check so do the pressure first. You need a manometer for this and most shops have one if you take the regulator off and into them.

The trailer was purchased new in 2010. The venturi was replaced last year. The regulator was also replaced last year.the stack was also cleaned last year.

Even new parts can go bad. Can you see the flame once you open up the outside inspection cover? Keep in mind that bugs can get into the burner any time of the year.

The pilot light burns steady blue at about 1/2 inch. It does not change when the temperature control is adjusted.
The web site listing the service manuals does not list RM 8501 or any in the 8500 series.
I have read the installations and trouble shooting sections in the operation manual given me when I bought the trailer.This evening I will put a full propane bottle on to see if that makes a difference.

That manual link I gave you is the manual.

You need to get where you can see the flame to tell if it is a robust and "dancing" flame or not. Soft blue flames or sooty flames won't get it done.

Sorry that I havent got back to you. I was called away thinking it would olny be a short time. I did get text message that you had answered but was unable to make the connection.I did find the manuals for the 8000 series but did not find anthig in it that was helpful to me A professional might be able to read it and know what to do.The flame glows a steady bright blue, slightly more than 1/2 inch in height. It starts immediately the unit is turned to propane. The frame is nor "robust" and does not change as the temperature settings are adjusted.I changed to a full tank of propane and there was no difference.
The service centre at Dometic was not helpful. All they wantd to do was to sell me part if i knew the part number I wanted.
The Canadian number for Dometic did not answer.

If you look back I gave you the link to the correct manual already. If you have a good flame and it won't cool properly, then I might suspect that someone left the flue baffle out. Rare, but I have seen it happen. You can sometimes look up the flue with a mirror once you remove the burner assy. You would have to remove the fridge in order to get to that.

IF the air vent on the burner is partially plugged, it won't get hot enough. Bugs love that area. Two small holes, one on each side of the burner.

I will see what I can do.about getting a mirror. Would a jet of air be useful to blow up the flue?
There is no evidence that the burner has received a request to burn. The pilot light comes on instantly when the propane is selected.. It happens even when the fridge has been cooled by 110 v or 12 v and does not change when the temperature of the fridge is warm.
I will check for debris in the vents and the flue. Would a jet of air be useful? would a vacuum be useful?

It seems too new to have a clogged flue tube, but air might work. Most of the time these will light right away. No pilot on these, just instant ignition in most cases. Were you able to go back and get that manual link? If not, I can send it again.

I did find the manual . There was nothing there that seemed to address the problem. The pictures were good but When I don't know the purpose of the part it is not much help.

It does have a good photo of the burner area though.

I agree. will be checking this afternoon. Will get back to you later.

10-4

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification