Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2015 Tiffin 36LA. The automatic step quit working.

Customer Question

I have a 2015 Tiffin 36LA. The automatic step quit working. I looked at the fuses and they are ok. th
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?
Customer: Yes. The light underneath the coach that comes on when you open the door comes on but I do not hear the motor for the steps activating
JA: What is the model of your '15 RV?
Customer: Tiifn 36LA
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked the fuses and checked the linkage. No problems there
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

SO you need to try and isolate the problem, it was very good you checked the fuses. What I would do next is get you a 12 volt charged drill battery and some small insulated jumper wires, disconnect the leads from the step motor and apply voltage direct to the motor the step should want to run in or out, swap the jumper wires to make it go the other way, if nothing happens at all bad motor, try smacking it a few times, sometimes they can get moisture inside and stop working.

IF the step goes out jumping power to the motor and if you have voltage going into the control box then I suspect the control box has failed. The control box will send voltage to the motor for the step, many times when you open and shut the door you can hear a faint click coming from the control box. Make sure nothing has come loose under the step, the main ground is clean and no wires are corroded, sometimes they are exposed to the elements so make sure everything is clean or tight.

IF you still need more help please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, you can still follow up if needed...

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert