Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I just replaced two Penguin AC on my motorhome with Brisk

Customer Question

I just replaced two Penguin AC on my motorhome with Brisk 15K heat pumps. The AC seems to be working but no heat when in heat pump mode. I verified AC and DC power. The yellow line to the reversing valve shows 120VAC when in HP mode which appears to be in contrast to older Dometics which energize in COOL mode. HP model is B59186.XX1C0.
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: The thermostat appears to be functional on AC side. For coolant level, are we talking about the freon? I have no way to check it. Private party.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2003 Travel Supreme 38foot Pusher.
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. The original AC were functional but old and we wanted the heat pumps. I am using existing wiring and telephone cabling. I verified that I have 120VAC and 12+ VDC. I have verified that the reversing valve is being sent 120VAC when in HP mode. I have checked the coil on top and have slightly warm to touch when in HP mode.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Negative.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both zones are working the same way, either when ran together or individually. 120VAC is 30A but I have also attempted to run with generator with same results.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Did you change out the thermostat(s) as well or are you using what was there? I need to know which one you have to be sure they are compatible with the new units. Get back to me with this and I can help you sort this out. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Randall. What further info do you need?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Did you see my response? Once Customer Service clears your payment we can have a phone chat.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Randall, I did change out the thermostat as well to the(###) ###-####015 which was the one listed on the Dometic site.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Looking at a Dometic manual that I downloaded from the web, it shows the thermostat as(###) ###-####000 instead of(###) ###-####000. The(###) ###-####011 was ordered from the dealer. I need to locate the package to see what it stated. I am going by the operating instructions guide for p/n.
Yes, carton states thermostat CCC2 p/n(###) ###-####011 for AC series 579, 595, 600, 6308 520, 5305, 6218XX and 618XX.
My HPs are B59186.XX1C0
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Let me check on this and get back to you shortly.......

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

That is the correct part number for the thermostat and you would need the 332020.000 board installed in each heat pump to make this work. Do you have that setup or not?

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Check that.........I made a typo on the part number. Should be(###) ###-####000

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do have the(###) ###-####000 control board installed in both units.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Check the dip switch settings to be sure you have them set correctly. That is the most common problem when changing these out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Randall,
Verified, zone 1 has only 'heat pump' switch to ON. Zone 2 has 'zone 2' and 'heat pump' switches to ON. See photos.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

That looks correct. Did you program in the Heat Pump settings into the new thermostat?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I initially reset the system and then set both zones to heat pump and ran temps up to approximately 77°. The fan came on but no heat.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Outside air temp was approximately 50° at the time of my test.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Were the compressors running or could you tell?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My hearing isn't all that great but I believe that the compressors were going. I went on top of the coach and removed the cover on one of the units. All plumbing was cold except for the pipe going into the top left (looking from front of coach) corner where it was slightly warm.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

You can put your hand on them and feel the vibration. If they are running, the that is one thing. If not, we need to find out why.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just went and turned on zone 2, removed its cover and I can feel the compressor vibrating. There is slightly warm air being blown from the cooling fins and the top line going into the upper left corner of the coil assembly is slightly warm. All other plumbing is cold.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Current temperature is 54° with light sprinkles.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

At that temp it should be working fine. Let it run for at least 30 minutes and report back.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do. Ran for 30 minutes. No change.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

There may be an issue with this and it should be covered under warranty. Let me contact Dometic Technical and run it by them and see what they have to report. It will be tomorrow as they are closed now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Randall. Talk to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

10-4

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Randall, I assume that you are still waiting for communication from Dometic.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Yes. It may take some time as this is a very busy season for them. If I don't hear back today I will call them again in the morning.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Randall, I assume that Dometic has still not gotten back to you. In case you need it, the full model numbers of the heat pumps are B59186.711.1C0 and their serial numbers are 62826855 and 62826856. They were purchased from Panther RV in Washougal, Washington on 02/10/2017.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I just did yesterday and was trying to get a break to get to you! I spoke to the head tech who has been there for about 40 years. The parts are right and the dip switches are right. He wanted to know if you got all the plug-ins into the control? Besides the tether cord, there should be two temp sensor plug-ins. One is a 3 pin plug and the other is a red w/white plug. And he asked if the compressors were running in heat pump mode and I said they were. The air temp should have about a 23 degree difference from what is going into the return as opposed to the discharge air temp. You would need some thermometers to check that. The air coming out the rear of the units should be cool and not warm as in the AC mode. So check those things and get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Randall, I do have all of the extraneous connectors attached to the controls. See photo of zone 2 control. Also, I checked the temperature of the air coming off of the rear fins of the unit when in HP mode and it is definitely warm (87 degrees). The exhaust temperature inside is 38+ degrees. All of the lines on the unit are COLD to the touch except the line going to the top of the coil assembly which is just warm. I measure 117.9 VAC on the yellow wiring going to the reversing valve. I am assuming that it requires AC to energize. This is leading me to suspect the reversing valve although it seems strange that the valve in both units would be bad or mis-wired. This yellow wire is the only wire in the plug and mates with an orange wire inside the control unit.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Am I understanding that on Heat Pump mode that it is putting out cold air into the cabin?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Randall, yes, that is correct. 38 degree cold.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Then for some reason it is on A/C mode and not Heat Pump mode. Did you check the settings on your thermostat again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have zone one set to OFF and zone two set to Heat Pump and the thermostat to 76 degrees. To me, it acts like the reversing valve is not actuating.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

But, you said it had good AC voltage to it as I recall?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is correct. I have 117.9VAC at the connector with the single yellow wire that is supposed to actuate the reversing valve. The 117.9VAC is applied when the HP mode is selected and appears to read some residual voltage below 100 volts when in the AC mode.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Perhaps that valve is defective. Not that expensive and should be under warranty.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I agree. It seemed strange to me that both units suffered from the same defect. Can you verify that the valve is actuated when in the HP mode? In older units, I understand that they were actuated in AC mode. I was wondering if the 117VAC was correct when in HP mode. Perhaps the Chinese have the wire feeding the reversing valve mis-wired. Just thinking to myself and trying to make sense of this.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Not sure, so let me check in the morning with Dometic again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Randall. You are putting in a long day. Go home. :-)
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I am home and trying to eat dinner...........LOL

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Randall, I was able to locate the problem today. Where I had the correct voltage at the Electronic Control Module for the reversing valve (yellow single wire on 3-pin connector) I went up on top, disconnected the wiring going to the reversing valve, and ran a continuity check. Found I did not have continuity between the reversing valve connector and pin 2 of the 3-pin connector. After checking wiring, pins and crimps, found that the Chinese assembler had reversed the two yellow wires (medium fan pin on 6-wire connector and pin-2 (reversing valve) on the 3-pin connector. Same issue on both units. Corrected wiring and everything works fine. Tells me that there isn't much of any quality inspections or system checks being accomplished on these units. You might let Dometic know, as I suspect that this assembler didn't just error on my two units.
On a new install like this, one always assumes that the provided parts are correct. When quality control is lacking, that doesn't work well. Thanks for all of your efforts. I appreciate your help and will certainly keep your organization in mind should any future issue arise.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

You get a big "Atta-boy" here! And I will call Dometic on Monday and pass this along to Dometic Technical. Wow! Imagine how many of these are out there???? Thanks for hanging in there on this. Be safe!