Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a domestic refer in my 84 Carver. The 12volt side

Customer Question

I have a domestic refer in my 84 Carver. The 12volt side works fine but 120v side doesn't cool. The fidge is running but doesn't cool. Any ideas?
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 1984 Carver 3697 motor yacht
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: It's a boat
JA: What is the model of your '84 RV?
Customer: 3697 Carver motor yacht
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm fixing it myself I really haven't tried anything so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

What is the make and model of your fridge? Get back to me with this information and I can assist you further. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The make is a Dometic not sure of model but I am pretty sure it's a 1984 year
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

I really can't go by that as they have so many models. I can tell you that MOST of the double door models have two heating elements on the AC side and that when one burns out, it won't cool well. If it cools fine on LP mode and only so-so on AC mode then this is the most common cause. Low input AC voltage would do this as well. You might want to take a small digital mutimeter and check that AT the fridge. If you can get me the model number I can supply more here. No time limit on follow ups. Hope this gives you a place to start.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There's no LP on it it's just 12 V or 120 V and it's only a single door well there is two doors one for the fridge and one for the freezer
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Then it may have a separate thermostat for the 120 VAC side. Some older models have that feature. Chances are good that it won't have 2 heating elements then. Again, if I knew the model I could offer more and a manual for helping you check it.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

It may be a compressor model as well. They have dozens of models on these.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model no Dl728 serial no 34501 1a and sorry it's a nor cold my bad
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

I am not familiar with any models with that designation. Norcold is not good about maintain parts for older compressor fridges and most all of the "D" series models are built that way. I suspect that it is the thermostat for the AC side, but only some testing would tell you that and even then, parts may be a problem. I will do some looking, but I don't recognize that model number.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

There is a model "DE728" and Sears has parts for those sometimes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That maybe it it's kind of hard to see
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

I suspect it is. I am attaching a link to the Sears parts list. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/DE728/0761/0413140.html

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Just following up here on your question. I am wondering if you perhaps missed my earlier response or did you get this resolved? Easy to do with the large amount of e-mail most of us get these days! If you need me to resend it, please let me know. Thanks!