Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

The hot water pilot does come on but does not stay on. It is

Customer Question

The hot water pilot does come on but does not stay on. It is new and the 1 st time we have try to use it.
JA: What year is your Pilot?
Customer: It is an Atwood water heater and it is a 2016 model
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: We are in an RV and it was winterized and now we are trying to get hot water
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it likes automatically when we turn the switch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No where do I check the violent level?
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

This is usually caused by a lack of good LP pressure at the water heater. Not uncommon when it has been sitting for some time. Turn on a stovetop burner and allow the pressure to equalize for a few minutes. If you see yellow or orange in the flame tips you may need to have the regulator adjusted (if it is an adjustable model) or replaced. Even new ones go bad. It can be the thermocouple is not fully in the flame. Or it can be defective as well. Bugs can get into that area during the off season and cause this. Try it can get back to me and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limits.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Not sure what you meant by "violent level" here..........

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Be sure that the bypass (if it has one) on the rear of the water heater is off so that you are back in the normal operation settings. It is a good idea to flush this out at least once a year too and get the hard water calcium deposits out. The LP working pressure should be checked at the tank regulator at least once a year and I would get a spare just in case it failed when you are camping. Not expensive and easy to replace. MEC makes a good one for less than $50. I am attaching a link to the Atwood Water Heater Manual for you. Print out a copy so you have it. It explains the operation and gives a lot of checks to make when it won't work properly. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need additional input or assistance. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Just following up here on your question. I am wondering if you perhaps missed my earlier response or did you get this resolved? Easy to do with the large amount of e-mail most of us get these days! If you need me to resend it, please let me know. Thanks!