RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

My 2008 Tiffin Phaeton has 2 heat pumps for Air

Customer Question
conditioning. They work fine...
My 2008 Tiffin Phaeton has 2 heat pumps for Air conditioning. They work fine as long as it doesn't get over about 85-90 degrees and if you start them before the heat builds up in the coach. But they will kick off the breaker as it gets warmer and just keeps doing it each time you reset the breakers. I had them checked and am told there is nothing wrong with the system. I can't believe Tiffin can't tell me what to do but that is what happened when I called them about the problem. I have talked to others that have the same problem keeping the A/C running when it gets hotter. Do you have any input on this problem and how to alleviate the problem??
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Yes and there is no apparent problem with the coolant leaking. The units work very well until the temperature in the coach builds up.
JA: Are you fixing your Phaeton yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it into Camping world in
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Flagstaff, AZ and left it for two days. No luck
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
5/12/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry for the delay.....

SO are you hooked up at a campground?, in the heat of the day if the park is drawing to much current the voltage might be going low causing the breaker to trip, really need to check the AC voltage at the breaker panel when this is happening to see if it us dropping off, it should not be going below 105 volts. This also could be a bad breaker, or loose connection at the AC unit or if the AC units were dirty topside the air flow would be choked off and might cause the breaker to trip at a higher temp. The shop you tool it to should have measured voltage at the breaker, checked for loose AC wires in the system and thoroughly cleaned the condenser coils.

What you might also want to do for testing is shut all your other breakers off but the main breaker and the one for the AC unit and see if they still trip, want to make sure the system is not overloaded with the total amps being drawn. When it is VERY hot and the AC units are running they will pull more amps and that can cause the voltage to drop off in the RV. Just like if everyone in a campground was using the AC units and there is a high demand.

Finally I might try a new breaker(s) and see if that helps at all.

Please keep in mind I have not idea what has been looked at I am pointing out some common problem areas. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

Robert

Hi...Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic