Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I'm trying to turn on my lights with only a battery battery.

Customer Question

I'm trying to turn on my lights with only a battery battery. Is there a switch? I own a 2006 Jayco Eagle
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: My interior lights. I also want to extend the pop out by using the switch on the wall
JA: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No sir. I am merely trying to see if everything works. I have a regular car battery Inn the front of the trailer near the propane tanks. I've connected both positive positive and negative leads to the battery but when I flip the switch the lights don't come on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's its
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

SO do you have a volt meter???

Are you plugged into power???

Look near the battery for a tripped breaker, below is a picture sometimes they will put one on the cable from the converter to the battery, most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and can be on the frame, if you see any at all you should see the same voltage to chassis ground on each post, if one side reads higher then it is the problem.

Sometimes you might also have a battery disconnect inside near the main entry door or above it, if you have that please let me know, beyond that I would confirm the voltage at the battery make sure it is over 12 volts, if it is good and you do not have a breaker you might have an issue with the power converter, when you are plugged in it makes the DC voltage when you unplug it should switch to battery power..

Hope this helps some. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Breaker.

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Thanks, Robert