Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Country Coach Magna (1994) not holding battery charge. not

Customer Question

Country Coach Magna (1994) not holding battery charge.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: not yet
JA: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We charged it using a portable charger plus batteries from a tow truck, which worked but we were unable to restart 2 days later. We did run the engine for about 2 hours before shutting it down.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have 2 new batteries (January 2017), and 2 older batteries.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

So is this only a problem with the starting batteries not holding a charge?

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Also are you plugging into power when the RV is sitting??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no, currently in storage with no access to shore power
I had to use a generator to recharge earlier this week.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK...

Give me a few mins to type a response, going to give you some ideas, takes a few mins to type out an answer....

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

First off since the batteries keep draining down I would have them load tested, most auto parts stores will do this for free, I know you said the batteries are new but I have seen new batteries with shorted cells.

IF the batteries are good it sounds like you have a draw and if that is the case you have some options. But first check your fridge for a high humidity switch inside the door, I have seen this happen before when the starting battery is wired to the fridge and that switch is ON it will draw from the battery even though the fridge is OFF, that might be a long shot but something that should not get over-looked.

One solution for you is to add a manual battery dis-connect at the battery, easy to install and it will prevent the batteries from draining down on you.

The other option which can be time consuming is finding the draw. Get a good 12 volt test light and disconnect the main ground from the battery, hook one end of the test light to the cable you remove and the other end to the neg. battery post, the light should be faint, if it is bright you have a draw. Go to the chassis fuse panel and start pulling fuses one at a time until the test light goes faint then you know which circuit is causing the issue. Also on the battery look at any smaller wires that are wired direct to the battery they can be suspect as well. Once you find the circuit you can start looking at components in that circuit.

Hope this is helpful, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert