gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

When the AC/heatpump is turned on, the compressor will come

Customer Question

When the AC/heatpump is turned on, the compressor will come on for a bit and make a loud noise then the compressor will turn off. It happens in both the ac mode and heat pump mode.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: It is a closed unit on top of my RV, I believe it is a13,500 btu.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2015 sunseeker
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I am not handy with repairs, I have an extented warrenty.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not have a manual for the unit. And I am not knowledgeable about it. Thanks. it just started to happen when I returned from Texas and just put it in storage. I go out and run the motorhome generator and tried to start the AC to put a load on the generator when this problem occured.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Do you have a small digital multimeter so you can check the AC voltage? It sounds like the generator isn't putting out enough power. Or the start capacitor is bad and causing this. Testing that would tell you that. Also try to run it off a shore cord outlet if you can. We need to be sure that low voltage isn't the problem. When you respond, please include the make and model of the heat pump so I know what we are working with. All follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected.