RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I had my rv hooked to electric and the refrigerator going on

Customer Question
I had my rv hooked...
I had my rv hooked to electric and the refrigerator going on checking in a couple days I found that the unit would not start cooling on electric or propane.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: it is hooked to electric
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2005 with dometic model ndr1292 fride
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have never had fridge problems before. I have tried turning off the unit and waiting awhile and restarting but to no avail. The propane burner seems to work but does not cool.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: there don't seem to be any debris on the backside. all seems clean. I usually pull in my drive and plug in the 110 and leave the fridge running. It is not completly level so when it did not work I leveled the rv but to no avail.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
5/9/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So this could be an issue with the cooling unit or thermistor. IF you have a volt meter you can test the thermistor. The thermistor will plug into the P-2 connector on the circuit board, it is a 2 wire connector unplug that. Inside the fridge on one of the back fins is the thermistor it should be clipped onto one of the fins, stick that inside a cup of ice water, go back outside where you disconnected the P-2 connector and ohm that are leading back to the thermistor, you should see between 8K and 10K ohms, Click HERE and see page 11 yours is the same for testing.

IF the thermistor is good it is very possible you have a bad cooling unit, a cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia, see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. For a blockage you may not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH LP AND AC power. I have had other owners claim they have tapped the coils on the back of the fridge with a rubber mallet but that does not work all the time. IF the cooling unit is blocked it would need to be replaced or a new fridge, I know not good news. I would first check the thermistor out and see if it is good..

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic