RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

MY HOT WATER HEATER WONT STAY LIT. THE GAS FIRES UO WHEN…

MY HOT WATER HEATER...

MY HOT WATER HEATER WONT STAY LIT. THE GAS FIRES UO WHEN TURNED ON THEN GOES OUT AFTER ABOUT 15 SEC. MY REFRIG WONT WORK ON GAS EITHER, ONLT AC

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

For hw heater the pilot light on the control panel inside the the rv. i looked at it outside and it does fire up but goes off

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Havent tried anything yet other than unpluging the plug outside the rv

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nopr

5/8/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

IF both the fridge and water heater are not working on gas you could have an issue with the LP pressure.

Go to the main LP tank and shut the valve, SLOWLY open it back up sometimes if the main valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure, slowly open the valve up and then light the burners on the stove and then try the water heater again and fridge. Make sure you also have over 12 volts DC at the battery.

IF it has been sometime since you used the RV I would also get a air nozzle and blow out the burner tubes for each, the burner tube will sit below the electrode or what sparks, sometimes debris, bugs can get into the burner tube and cause the appliance not to light off.

Beyond that I think I would have the LP pressure tested, this is done with a manometer and in the shop it is a 15 min check.....

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

if i had pressure issues wouldn't the stove be affected too

Not necessarily the stove has it's own regulator to reduce the pressure some more. So the only thing the fridge and water heater have in common is the DC voltage and the LP pressure, they both have a burner tube as well so I would blow out everything really good and then see what happens. The LP pressure should be checked yearly as well....

I hope this helps out, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, you can still follow up if needed I am around daily.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
thanks i will do this today after work, thanks for your help