RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Second opinion] I have a recently installed Dometic refer…

Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a recently installed Dometic refer that keeps throwing a E3 error code. I have actually cut the two wires leading to the "dime size" sensor and by-passed it, by tying them together, but it still keeps throwing the E3 code. It seems to run fine on gas, but not on elec. power. Could this be caused by inconsistent power from the campground power. I do not protection between the coach and the tower?

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The heat sensor is located a few inches up the burner tube. No it is not throwing any other codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

1999 Fleetwood Discovery. It is a 30-Amp coach, but I have a 50-Amp plug on the end, but of course are only using one leg (120-v).

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

No...the dealer who installed the refer. is working on it, but doesn't seem to having much luck. From what I understand from Dometic the E3 code is only tied to the heat sensor mechanism.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't guess

5/7/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 5 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question. I was out all afternoon and evening and just got home. Perhaps others were off as well. May I have the model number of the fridge we are talking about here? Once I have that I can assist you further and give you some things to try to solve this. All follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected. I should be around all day tomorrow.

It is a Dometic model RM1350 refer with no ice maker. Newly installed late 2016.

That is an Error code tied to the heat thermal disc on the flue AND the low temp resistor on that line which is usually mounted behind the burner area (or should be) and if that incoming DC voltage is too low it can trigger that code. But, that being said, if this is not working on AC mode then you need to first check to be sure that the incoming AC is good AT the plug and then on the board AT the AC fuse on both sides. If those check out, then check the heating elements with an ohm meter. They should read 34 ohms or close. Another thing that can cause this are florescent lights. Feedback to the board can trigger codes. And lastly, check the incoming DC circuit which powers the board for any AC ripple. That is caused by older converters that are not fully electronic like the new ones. If the ripple is more than .5 VAC the you need to replace the converter. If you have an inverter/charger then check that as well. "AC ripple" is some AC voltage actually bleeding out into the DC circuit and it causes wide voltage swings and can trip codes and even destroy boards if too severe. If all these things check out, then it is possible that the cooling unit is defective. I have seen that happen on new fridges. OR it has not been vented correctly and it is overheating due to air flow issues. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need additional input or support as all follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected. I am adding a link to the RM1350 Service Manual for you. Print this out as there is a lot of great information in there which may come in handy down the road! http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Service%20Manual,%20RM1350.pdf

Randall..if you will see on the original question that I have cut (bypassed) the thermal sensor, and cut those two wires and joined them together to bypass that little unit, and it is still throwing that code. I did not have a surge protector from the shore power pole, and am wondering if that could be creating part of the problem? It seems to run fine on gas, but have the problems when on electricity.

I saw your question and most units have both a thermal disc AND fuse which is hard to see. It can be either one of those that throw a code as well as all the other things I mentioned in my response. The lack of a surge protector should have no bearing on this.

Depending on which version you have, this may have a thermal fuse up on the end of the condenser. There are quite a few varieties of this model. If you can get back to me with the Product Number I can tell you. And if the AC mode isn't working then it has to be something in that circuit that is at fault as I pointed out before.

See the attached link for the parts breakdown of the latest version. See the back with the cooling unit. Part number 125 on the diagram. Thermal sensor. If your dealer added another, it may be causing an issue.

http://www.laurelhurstdistributors.com/parts/refrigerators/dometic/RM1350_36.html

Model #1350X No Ice Maker
MFG #958553125
S/N #63494620

I would have to give Dometic a call tomorrow as I show all the models of the RM1350 with a Product Number starting with 921..... and none with a 958 prefix. I still think all the latest versions have a thermal fuse up on the end of the condenser.

I didn't hear back from them yesterday, but that isn't unusual in the Spring due to the heavy volume of traffic they get on Mondays. I should hear today and will report back.

As I suspected, this is probably the low temp fuse on the back side of the flue that is bad. It comes in the recall kits that are free and not sure what the actual part number is ***** I have never had to order one, but can find out if your dealer doesn't have one already. Hope that gets you going. Be sure to have him check the LP working pressure at the tank regulator as low pressures tend to cause this to flash and burn them up. Hope that helps out here. Please get back to me if you need more later.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed by previous response and answer to your question? Sometimes these get lost in the volume of e-mail most of us get or end up in the spam file. If you need me to resend it, please let me know and I will be happy to do that for you. Thanks.

Randell...Thanks for the input. Passed the info on to my service guy but they had already check that. Strange thing in all this is when the coach is in his shop we have NEVER been able to duplicate the E3 error code. It runs like a top...gas...electric...etc. Runs with the AC on...lights on...microwave on...but will not create the E3 code, and cools fantastic The two times that I have had the coach out for use, both times it errors out and shuts off. Just don't get it.

So it has to do with the voltage where you are. That is the only variable. When you get this code are you on shore cord or using the generator or on inverter? This is where I would look for the problem. I will be happy to run it by Dometic again for you.

Always on shore cord. I have yet to use it any other way. Only used it twice since it was installed, but E3 issues both times, but NEVER at his shop.

Are you using any kind of adapter on the cord or is it plugged into a designated 30 or 50 amp outlet? Have you checked the actual AC output there?

It has been at the same campground, but different locations. I have not checked the towers either time. I don't run a adaptor/surge protector (per say). I had mentioned in a earlier transmission that it is a 30-amp coach, but have a 50-amp plug on the end, but of course only using 1-leg (110V) in order to hopefully gain all the available electricity. The service guy here is of course using that same plug and plugged into his service bay, but no errors..????

Do you try this at home? You almost need to know the actual conditions at that campground. Perhaps they have some kind of feedback in their A/C feed or flucuation in the AC voltage that might be causing this. Try to hook up to another location and see what happens.

Kinda of my next idea. There is a local KOA I may rent space for a couple of days and see, or another local campground I may rent some space for a couple of days and see as well. Will save this reply let you know.

O.K.......if you get back to the place where the problem is, check the actual AC voltage at the pedestal and use something like a Voltage Minder that will give you the AC voltage and any polarity or ground faults as well. You just plug it into the pedestal or at an outlet in your coach. I suggest my customers check the pedestal first before hooking up so they don't burn up something! About $75 or so and a great "insurance policy" item. Let me know what happens and I will bounce this off Dometic again on Monday.

Hello Randall...Thought I would give you the latest. The coach was at my service mechanics facility for almost 3-weeks and never "coded out" E3. I picked it up and took it over to our local KOA campground this past Sunday after church to see what might happen. Check the coach approx. 6:00 PM and all was fine. Checked it at approx. 7:15 this AM and all was fine. Turned on the "florescent over head light" in the kitchen and inside a minute it coded out. Turned out the light reset the frig waited 10-minutes...no problems. Turned on the florescent light..... inside a minute E3 coded out. Repeated same process again...same result E3 code. Left the code on and called my service man, and he drove out to the KOA and repeated same steps, and every time he turned on the florescent tube..... E3 code. The troubling thing is that the E3 code is only supposed to apply to the small heat sensor on the flu-tube, and why it throws the code when the light comes on almost immediately? I have ordered and new LED tube to replace the old on, but he checked the draw on the ballast and is still minimal as it is. Wondering now if the relay is bad and causing it to throw the wrong code. May contact dometic now and see about a warranty replacement. That's the latest.

These lights give a feedback into the circuits sometimes and cause issues with circuit boards. We see this on fridge boards, but this is the first time I have heard of it giving an E-3 code and I will report this to Dometic Technical tomorrow. Good job!