RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Power surge, plug was 220 rather than 120 volts, Fuses

Customer Question
Power surge, plug was...

Power surge, plug was 220 rather than 120 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Fuses appear ok. A friend wired the plug at his residence, didn't know it was supposed to be 120. We have a KeyStone Cougar 275RKSWE, 2016 model. If we connect the front plug to the truck, we get power. If we connect the back plug, we don't get power for the lights etc. Wondering if the converter got fried.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cougar yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm pretty clueless on it. We just got it about a week ago. I'm planning to contact the dealer in the morning, just doing some research now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's about it. Any clues on what and how to check would be helpful.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: RV
4/21/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO when you are plugged into 120 are all the outlets, microwave and TV'S working, I understand the 12 volts that is missing...

Robert

When plugged into truck, lights work. When plugged into land 120 AC, they don't. Furnace also seems to work plugged into truck.

What I need to know is when you are plugged into the 120 are the outlets, TV, microwave working. I understand everything works when plugged in with the truck.

Robert

When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery, so if you are missing all the AC power the converter is not going to charge. IF you have ALL the AC power but not the DC power then most likely the converter is the problem, they do not do good when 220 is applied. Also you can damage the AC appliances that would be the microwave, TV's etc, that is why I am asking.

Some converters will be part of the main breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet, the stand alone style will have two fuses on it, the converter that is part of the main breaker/fuse panel will have fuses on the main fuse board.

When you are plugged in with the truck the truck is charging the battery and that is why you have DC voltage.....

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert