Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a keystone Avalanche with the bunkhouse in the back.

Customer Question

I have a keystone Avalanche with the bunkhouse in the back. I want to replace the hideabed couch with a built in bunk. What is behind the interior walls of the slide out? Can I screw a crossbeam into the wall of the slide? How thick is the space between the interior wall of the slide out and the exterior wall?
JA: What year is your Avalanche?
Customer: 2013, I believe
JA: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Help
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I just need to know what is behind the wall of the bunkhouse slide out.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you need to know?
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

We have no way of knowing that information, but I didn't want you to think we weren't able to respond. I don't know if Keystone will furnish this or not as most of the time they will tell their customers that kind of thing isn't available. In my shop we just have to do those calculations myself. If you need something else, feel free to ask. I am not expecting any payment here for this.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How are you doing those calculations yourself? I assume you are pulling back the interior panel to see what is behind it?
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Sometimes, but most of the time we can tap on the wall with the rubber end of a hammer and tell where the supports are. If we can't, then we may pull the edge out, but most of the time these are "Oreo" contruction and vacuum sealed and glued at the factory and so we can't. Most walls are about 1.5" thick, not counting the wall panel and outside. The newer ones are usually aluminum framing.

Expert:  Randall replied 5 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed by earlier response and answer to your question? Easy to miss sometimes with the volume of e-mail that most of us receive every day! Or it ends up in our spam file sometimes. If you need me to resend this please let me know. Thanks!