Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

What would stop a new LP tank on a RV from taking LP, 84

Customer Question

What would stop a new LP tank on a RV from taking LP
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 84 Winnie 22 ft
JA: What is the model of your '84 RV?
Customer: sorry it is an 87 Winnebago chieftain, i bought a new LP tank from Winnebago had it installed by a good mechanic but it will not take on gas
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: not a gasoline tank an LP tank gas milage is about the same as it was 15 years ago starts great
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

This is a brand new ASME tank? About the only reason it won't allow gas in on a filling attempt is a bad valve. I have never heard of that happening, and I have been at this a lot of years, but I suppose it is possible. I would have the local gas company take a look at it for you. They should be able to tell if that is the case. I don't change these out in my shop and this would be under warranty no doubt from Winnebago. I would give them a call as well and ask for some direction here. Hope that gives you some direction. Please get back to me if you need more input as all follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected, no matter how many exchanges it might take to arrive at a solution.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

You can buy just a new fill valve for this and have it installed. Perhaps Winnebago would prefer to solve it this way as it would be less expense and time for everyone. Just a thought.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since this was "new old stock" it was sold with no return or warranty but have an LP guy nearby who along with my mechanic is going to take a look, they, like you have never encountered this problem before
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

I suppose it could be "stuck" from sitting so long. Not that hard to change out the fill valve and purge the tank again. I think a new valve is about $20 or so.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve the tank fill issue. I can get a part number for a new fill valve if you couldn't find that.