Joe
Joe, RV Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 2005 coachman cross country class a motor home,

Customer Question

I have a 2005 coachman cross country class a motor home, parking lights stay on all the time, changed the switch on the dash ,did not help , also the isolator next to the batteries has a humming sound, changed it still nothing helps, there must be bleed over power from something can you help?
Category: RV
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just checking to see whats up with question I ask
Expert:  Joe replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

When you disconnected the headlight switch did the parking lights still stay on with the switch disconnected?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am at work ,not at rv ,but I have tried a few things , so if you don't mind please continue , and if I have not already tried it I will when I get home, thanks
Expert:  Joe replied 3 months ago.

This means that there is a short after the switch. I would start with checking the relay and if the relay is not stuck closed providing power to them then you will have to check the wiring for a short of two powers thus providing power to the power for the parking lights. A normal functioning relay only provides power when the low side circuit is completed with power thus closing the relay and providing the high side to the circuit, what can happen is the contacts can stick and cause it to stay closed thus providing power at all times, pull the relay and swap with another to see if that resolves the issue.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have pulled the relay ,lights stay on , I even bought a new one ,no change
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry when I pull the relay they go off
Expert:  Joe replied 3 months ago.

Swap that relay for another and see if that fixes the problem please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got a new relay and tried it no change, pulled the relay from the headlights and tried it still the same
Expert:  Joe replied 3 months ago.

Ok, so pulling it turns them off, this means the short is before the relay, it will not be on the high power side as that does not engage the relay but instead will be on the low circuit side meaning from the headlight switch. So somewhere between the headlight switch and that relay is the short.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Joe replied 3 months ago.

No problem at all, my pleasure. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks again,

- Joe