Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

House batteries are not getting a charge from the shore

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, House batteries are not getting a charge from the shore power connection. Alternator charge is fine. 2012 Coachmen Freelander.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: No leaks and 2 week old batteries.
JA: Are you fixing your Freelander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not fixing just had the a/c running on shore power and after 3 days a/c shut down and lots of dc stuff glowing low or not working. Started engine and all works.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: New batteries, very low mileage on all systems
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

OK...

So when you are plugged into power the power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage and charge the battery. So if the battery is not charging on shore power you could have a bad power converter or breaker tripped between the converter and battery. Below is a picture of a breaker you may fine. As a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and can be on the frame or inside a battery control box with fuses and other breakers, most have a tiny tab on them that pops out when they trip. IF you see any check each post on each breaker you should have the same voltage on each post, you would measure voltage to chassis ground. IF one post has a much higher voltage it is the issue.... IF you know the make and model of the power converter I might be able to send you some more troubleshooting..

Hope this helps if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.....

Robert

Breaker...

Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert