RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The RV was plugged into the house electricity. I then

Hi, I'm Robyn. The...

Hi, I'm Robyn. The RV was plugged into the house electricity. I then started the generator on the RV. Now the front TV and all of the electrical sockets do not work as well as the GFI will not reset.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, the headlights work and the batteries are fully charged.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2006 Fleetwood Bounder Workhorse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, we are. We have reset the circuit breakers, with no success.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just what we can do. Also, all the lights and fans work. The microwave and overhead air conditioners work plugged in to electricity. The Smart EMS AC Online doe not register.

4/16/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Hi Robert, we are patiently waiting your reply.

OK....

So you should never start the generator with it plugged in or you can damage the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch), The ATS detects the incoming power source and switches back and forth between generator power and shore power, so when you are plugged in and start the generator you are sending 2 hot legs of AC voltage to the transfer switch and they do not like when that happens. Try this and let me know, unplug from power and make sure the generator is OFF. Go inside the RV and shut all the breakers OFF, go plug back into power and then go back inside and turn the breakers on one at a time and see if your power comes back on..... We can go back and forth as much as needed, lets start with that...

Robert

Also go around the RV and make sure you do not have a tripped GFCI these will be outlets with a test and reset button on them the are normally in the bathroom and or galley but can be located just about anywhere else including the outside. (double check for others) IF you have an inverter, go to the inverter and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped, most inverters will have one or two breakers on them and they can be small switches OR round buttons that pop out, normally if you had an inverter it would be outside in a storage compartment....

After looking again at your question it could be a tripped breaker on the inverter... IF you have one.

Robert

When the breakers are in the 0/0 position, is that considered OFF?

Normally the breaker would be a switch, down is OFF and up is ON, not sure about a 0/0

These breakers go side to side.0/0 if to the left and 0/1 if to the right.

OK

You would know if you look at the microwave and it turns off when you move the breaker for the microwave, unless you are talking about the inverter.

Ok, going to give it a try.

Sounds good....

Robert

Any luck?

Robert

The 50 amp Smart EMS AC Online AMPS load meter is trying to register. The microwave just came on. What should we try next?

OK

DO you have an inverter? IF so go to the inverter and check the breakers on it....

Robert

it operates the rear tv. It came on.

So you did check the breakers on it.. ?

Robert

Meaning the inverter light came on. The rear tv works.

Right but the inverter should have some breakers on it, they will be small switches or round buttons.... On some inevreters the breakers are on the side of the inverter...

Robert

If you are not sure get me the make and model of the inverter....

We are checking the breakers now for the inverter. The sockets have juice in the front of the RV but the bedroom (inverter located) and the bathroom (GFCI located) are dead.

I understand what is going on, many times the inverter will supply some voltage to the outlets and TV....

I am trying my best to eliminate so items to see if possibly something was damaged when you were plugged into shorepower and started the generator.

Robert

Is the inverter a 300 watt DC to AC Power Coverter? He sees an aluminum box with a fuse on the side. Two plugs, a fuse and a black and red wire.He hears the fan to the inverter running.

Normally the inverter will have breakers on it. An inverter allows you to have AC power when you are NOT plugged into power. That sounds like a power converter I would need the make and model of what you are seeing to see if it is a converter or inverter. Also sometimes you will have a remote panel inside the RV for the inverter.

Some RV's do have a smaller inverter it would have an area on it to plug something into.

along side the invert switch is a telephone jack and a round power hole for a cell phone charger.

OK

DO you have a 30 amp service or 50 amp service, does your cord have 3 prongs or 4?

50 amp, 4 prongs.

IF you have a 50 amp service you will have 2 hot legs of 110 coming into the RV, the power goes through the transfer switch to the breaker, so it is possible to have some of the AC voltage if you only have one leg coming into the transfer switch.... IF you unplug from power and start the generator again do you have the same issue? Shut all the breakers off before you start the generator, once the generator is started turn the breakers on one at a time.

The only other item I can think of is if you have another GFI hiding on you, they can be about anywhere so I would double check all the cabinets and outside compartments. Beyond that you would need to check for voltage in and out of the breaker for the items that are not working, if you have voltage in and out of the breaker for the non working items then you do have another GFI hiding or the GFI that will not reset is bad or you have a loose connection at some point.

We covered most of the easy items to check. I might replace the GFI, check for any others hiding and then I would maybe let a RV shop take a look at this.

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit for helping when you select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

GFCI was replaced with a new one. Now searching for another GFCI.

I am out of ideas, if you want to try another expert on this please let me know.....

Robert

If you can hold on for a few more moments.

Sure...

We are unplugged and about to start the generator. We did not find any more GFCI unless the is something hidden behind the front tv or under the bed.

OK.

The generator started right up. Now what do we check?

IF you have your power back, the shore cord will supply power into the RV and the generator. SO if you had power on generator then the issue could be with the shore cord or connection where it is coming in....

Lastly what I would do next, is start checking each outlet for a loose, melted wire etc, shut the breaker off or unplug from power when you are checking start with the first non working outlet tat is closest to the panel and work away from the panel, check each outlet. IF one outlet goes down the others will as well.

I have a dinner to attend to as it is Easter. IF you want to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit for my efforts today when you select a STAR rating on the page.

Also you might want to contact Fleetwood in the AM with your FIN number they also might have some input and do have technical support for owners.

ROBERT

The 50 amp Smart EMS AC Online AMPS Meter is registering 17 amps. The air conditioner is working, the front electrical sockets are working. Bathroom works, the fridge works, everything seems to be working except the front tv which just maybe to old. The generator is running everything. So does this mean the electrical will run everything? Should we shut down the generator and plug back in?

OK....

Let me ask you this do you happen to have the ignition key ON, the only reason I ask is many RVS have a lock out and will lock the TV out if the ignition switch is ON, with everything else working that makes some sense, if not I would plug the TV into an outside source with a cord and see if it works.

You can plug back in to shore power if you like. IF you have no power to the areas that are working now plugged in then check the supply post for a tripped breaker, if you do not have a breaker tripped then possibly you only have one hot leg coming in through the transfer switch.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page... Robert

Enjoy your dinner. Happy Easter. You get 5 STARS. Thank you

Glad I could help out some, this one was a challenge......

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic