RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Fleetwood discovery house batteries charged, but will not…

Customer Question
Fleetwood discovery house batteries...

Fleetwood discovery house batteries charged, but will not power anything when plugged into 30 amp socket. lights will power up after engine is started and everything appears OK, but will go out after short pause. If you start generator after you turn engine off it will run for about 10 seconds and then shutdown.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Interior coach lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Fleetwood?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. House batteries got very low due to extended time without power (long story)! Charged for a couple days, but control center did not show that batteries were charged, but took it back to dealer and we powered it up with 50 amp and everything looked Ok, but we only did this for a short while. Got home and everything appeared OK until I powered up 30 amp service. No interior lighy

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should you turn off converter when not connected to electrical outlet?

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/10/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

DO you have a volt meter and DO you have a battery disconnect switch near the entry door?

Robert

to both questions

OK

Can you go to the house battery and tell me what the voltage is??? This could be a failed solenoid IF you have good voltage.

Robert

I realize your time is valuable, paid bucks for an answer. Do you think inverter/converter and/or relay box is bad?

IF you have low voltage at the battery YES, if you have good voltage at the battery then NO....

The inverter will charge the battery when you are plugged in. So if the voltage is low then it could be the inverter but I would have the batteries load tested first to see if they are good, look on one of the cables from the inverter to the battery for a large fuse mounted to the RV frame make sure it is good.

IF you have good voltage at the batteries it could be a bad disconnect solenoid, it acts like a gate and allows the DC power to come into the RV when you hit the switch, to tell if that is the problem you can jump the LARGE posts on the solenoid and see if your power comes on....

You also want to check the supply source as well to make sure it is letting power into the RV, if you had no voltage coming in and the inverter was ON it could drain the batteries very fast......

Hope this helps, please feel free to respond on this...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get "credit" for helping... Robert

Just to be clear that would be the DC voltage, if you are missing the AC voltage please let me know, the AC voltage would be the outlets, TV'S Microwave.

Just went into coach unhooked from external power source. Turned generator on and it quit within 10 seconds! Now I show low batteries and interior lights won't come come on!

OK

SO like I asked WHAT is the battery voltage at the batteries?

Robert

No expert. How do i check this?

IF the voltage is low when you are plugged into power then the inverter may not be charging the batteries or the power source is the problem. OR you have bad batteries and they need to be load tested. I assumed since you have a volt meter you knew how to use it.

I think on this one to start I would have the batteries load tested, most auto parts stores will test them for free, you would have to remove them and bring them in. IF the batteries check out good then the inverter is at fault, it should be charging the batteries when you are plugged into power. Try and shut the inverter off then turn it back ON and then check for a large fuse between the inverter and batteries and make sure it is not blown.

If the batteries were in bad condition they may not accept a charge from the inverter.

Robert

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer was helpful??

Robert