RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We are on our 1st outing and we have a water leak and we…

We are on our...

We are on our 1st outing and we have a water leak and we cannot find the source of the leak. Please call back.(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

It is absolutely clear water. It is coming from posterior compartment under the bunk beds and under the kitchen sink.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2017 jayco flight SLX 264BHW

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SLX yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is not flooding but leaking. This is our first outing. We are looked up to the city water. There was a about ½ to ¾ cup that looked from around sink area but there was no leak found under the sink About 1 quart we mopped up from underneath where the bunk beds outside storage area especially along wall nearest bathroom.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All else is well.

4/2/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

Sounds like you could have a loose water connector or pin hole leak in one of the lines, water should never be coming out unless it is coming out a tube below the chassis. IF it is a tube hanging down and water is leaking out then you might have a drain valve open. Beyond that you would have to find the source of the leak and if this is brand new unit something may not have gotten secured properly at the factory and I would advise to have it looked at under warranty, you start pulling to many components apart you could void that warranty.

What I normally do you find water leaks is drain the fresh water tank and then hook up a blow out plug that allows you to add air into the system and listen for the leak it is a good way to find the leak, if you do that only apply about 40 psi of air. It would be impossible for me to tell you where the leak is without looking at this in person as water can travel pretty far..

Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..... Robert

Thanks I will take the trailer back to the dealer so not to void the warranty. Also can we always turn on the trailer heater with the wall thermostat as long as the propane is on and without starting a pilot light

Yes the heater is automatic, all you need to do is have the LP on, turn the thermostat on and the fan for the furnace should kick on and then it will cycle on and off as heat is needed, no pilot you need to light....

If you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks. Also is it automatic to turn on the hot water heater with the "htr" button without 120 electrical hookup

OK

Normally the way the water heater works is on LP OR electric, for it to work on electric you do need to be plugged into AC power or 120 volt. It is also OK to run both of them at the same time for quicker recovery. IF you have a suburban water heater you need to check under the outside access panel for a small switch in the left hand corner, that switch also needs to be turned ON for it to work on electric, I am not sure what model you have but wanted to mention that as many owners I have met are not aware of that switch. IF you only have one switch inside then most likely you do not have a electric combo water heater, just LP..... Robert

Thanks

No problem at all...

Robert