RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Have a dometic fridge it was working just fine pluged into…

Have a dometic fridge...

Have a dometic fridge it was working just fine pluged into city power now it does nothing and I tryed the propane it lights but doesnt get cold

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The propane is lit

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

There are lights on the fridge are all normal there is a check light bit it is off 2000 coachman 8 cf fridge

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the power 120 volt good 12 volt is good aqnd the propane is good

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Last year I had to put in a igniter for the propane

3/29/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

What is the model number of the dometic and just so I understand it appears to be working on LP and AC power but it is not cooling at all??

Robert

Everything looks as it should the propane comes on but it will not get cold. There are two lights on top one says auto the other says check the only light that is on is the auto light The check light came on once when I switched it to propane. I cycled the power and retryed the propane and it came on but after two hrs it did not get coldThe propane came on the light stayed off

Sounds like a thermistor issue OR cooling unit problem, do you happen to have the MODEL of the Dometic, should be a sticker inside the door, most start with a RM and then number.

Robert

I will go check be right back

10-4

RM 2652

OK

It will take me a few mins to type a response to you, I will respond back shortly..

Robert

ok

SO

IF you get NO cooling at all on BOTH LP and AC power it could be a bad thermistor or cooling unit problem. What you can do is go to the outside circuit board and locate the two wire connector going into the P-2 spot on the board and unplug it. What should happen is the fridge should default to FULL cooling when that is disconnected. IF it cools off the thermistor is bad.

IF it does not cool off then chances are you have a bad cooling unit, they can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia, see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. For a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but no cooling on both LP and AC power. The flue canister should be VERY hot to the touch and the absorber coils should be nice and uniform warm from top to bottom, if they are cool or you have very hot spots then the cooling unit is bad. Make sure the fridge is level as well, if the fridge is not level, re-level it and let it sit for a few hours and try running it again. Normally when the cooling unit is blocked it has to be replaced OR a new fridge, there are some myths on clearing a blockage such as tapping the coils with a rubber mallet or pulling the fridge and flipping it a few times and letting it sit level, that does not work all the time, more times then not it will not help...

Click HERE and see page 11 you can see the P-2 connector on the board, this is a service manual.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping out.... Robert

Could it be the power board?

NO.... If the flame is going and the flue is getting hot on AC power then it is trying to supply a heating source and the cooling unit is at fault. The key here is it is not working ON BOTH LP and AC power, if it was working on one source then it would be possible.....

Robert

I would disconnect the thermistor first and see what happens....

Let me know if you need more help on this I am around daily and respond when I can, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

I unpluged the p2 wires and I will let you know what is up.Note when I unpluged the city power the propane came on right away

Yes that is normal when in auto and you remove the power it will default to LP per design, if you plug back in it would go back to AC power...

It will take a few hours with that connector unplugged, fingers crossed.... Robert

it did so I would say that the power board is working

Yes this is not a power board issue, it has to be thermistor OR you have a bad cooling unit..

There are no signs of yellow anywhere and no smellBy leaving that unpluged I will assume the temp will have no controlIs there a way to check the thermistor with an OHM meter?

YES you can ohm it out, page 11 shows you how to do that.....

Robert

Ok thanks

No problem.

Robert

I can feel some heat and the tubs feel colder and when you put it on propane you can hear the flame before it looked like a pilot lite. I will go check it in an hour or so

10-4

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic