RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a new Dometic two-way refrigerator in my rv. Will it…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new Dometic two-way refrigerator in my rv. Will it run on propane alone with the 12 v battery master switch shut off? I have enough propane, but do not want to risk running down my 12v battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

The rv is brand new. I have installed a master battery disconnect. unfortunately, my rear view camera on the trailer is always on when the battery is on. that is the only drain on the battery when the switch is on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 RV?

It is a 2017 Forest River Salem Lite. the refrigerator is a Dometic 2026 R

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not doing anything. I just want to know if the 12v battery is required to be on for the refrigerator when the rv is not plugged into 110v.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of. my question seems to be straightforward.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: RV
3/5/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert..

YES it needs DC voltage to run on BOTH LP and AC power, it is required for the circuit board, without the DC voltage the fridge will not run at all.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..... Robert

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, please let me know.

Robert