RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

GFCI Wong remain W remain, Won't remain set. Replaced it.

Customer Question
GFCI Wong remain W...

GFCI Wong remain W remain

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Won't remain set. Replaced it. Some outlets working. Fridge getting warm although showing LP

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2009 keystone challenger 34'

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Challenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced GFCI in bathroom Reset main box breakers. Unplugged all things from outlets.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I know

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: RV
3/5/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

HI my name is Robert.

ARE you missing all the AC power inside the RV? That would be all your outlets, microwave, TVS.....

Robert

There is a recall involving the AC power. It has to deal with a bad connection at the transfer switch and this could certainly be the issue. Below are the details on that, I would have it looked at...

NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V577000

Manufacturer KEYSTONE RV COMPANY

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Potential Number of Units Affected 6,101

Summary

KEYSTONE HAS REVISED THEIR REMEDY PROCESS AND IS AGAIN RECALLING CERTAIN 2009-2011 VEHICLES WITH THE “GENERATOR READY” OPTION, OR WITH STANDARD GENERATOR. SEE THE LIST ABOVE FOR THE AFFECTED MODELS. SOME IOTA ITS-50R TRANSFER SWITCHES ARE EXPERIENCING FAILURES WHEN EXPOSED TO HIGH ELECTRICAL LOADS. THE FAILURE IS CAUSING CONNECTIONS AND WIRING IN THE TRANSFER SWITCH TO DEGRADE AND OVER HEAT.

Remedy

KEYSTONE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TRANSFER SWITCH, FREE OF CHARGE. THE REMEDY FOR THE PREVIOUS RECALL (10V-594) WAS TO INSPECT AND TIGHTEN THE SWITCH CONNECTIONS. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 24, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KEYSTONE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-***-***-****.

The microwave is working. Some of the outlets are working. The TVs are working

Right so if some of the AC power is working and some is not then it could be an issue with that recall, bad connection at the transfer switch.

What I would do next is get a polarity checker and plug it into the non working outlets and see if there is a wiring issue, it will light up and tell you which fault is occurring. Most places like Lowes or Home Depot have them for a few dollars.

The other issue is if you have another GFI that is hiding on you, normally they are in the bathroom and or galley but can also be outside or hiden so recheck for that.

Beyond that I might isolate the AC power and check every outlet on that circuit starting with the first non working outlet that is closest to the breaker panel and work away from the panel....

The recall still could have something to do with this if the wires at the TS are overheated. I actually have seen this questions come up now 4 times in the last two weeks with the missing AC power...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping...

Robert

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, please let me know.

Robert