RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Batteries are not staying charged for starting and house.

Customer Question
Batteries are not staying...

Batteries are not staying charged for starting and house

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Brand new batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

American eagle 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes put new batteries in

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We put a charger on everything worked house and engine plug into shore power and the batteries went dead overnight

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: RV
2/10/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

When you are plugged into power the power converter or inverter should charge the batteries.... DO you know if you have a power converter OR inverter?

An inverter will allow you to have AC power when you are unplugged a power converter will not do that. IF you have an inverter you would also have a remote panel inside the RV, I am thinking you have an inverter but want to be sure...

Also if you run the generator do the batteries charge?

Do you have a volt meter??

Robert

Also what power source are you plugging into are you plugging into a 30 or 50 amp service OR are you using an adapter and extension cords going into a standard 110 outlet?

Robert

You can follow up as much as you like......

IF the batteries are not charging it sounds like an inverter issue but you have to be plugged into a 30 amp or 50 amp service for the inverter to charge properly. That is why I asked if the generator will charge the batteries. IF the generator will not charge the batteries go to the inverter and follow the cables many times you will find a very large fuse mounted to the frame that is between the battery and inverter, want to make sure that is not blown, you should see around 13 volts on each side of that fuse when you are plugged into power, if you have no voltage or low voltage try to turn the inverter OFF and then back ON and see if it will start charging. IF you are plugged into a standard 110 outlet I would suggest plugging in direct with no cords or adapters and see if the batteries charged, many times a 110 household outlet is not enough to power everything and run the inverter.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping....... ROBERT

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert