Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Its a1997 kountry star by newmar on a freightliner chassis

Customer Question

Its a1997 kountry star by newmar on a freightliner chassis and 210 hp dsl front drive. what model inverter would it take?
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 1997 35 kountry star motorhome w/210 hp front dsl engine needs a new inverter what model and where is it located?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: automatic 44000 miles
JA: What is the model of your '97 RV?
Customer: 35" kountry star by newmar w/ one slide
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It belongs to my sister-in-law whos husband died suddenly and she was told by a local truck mechanic it needed a new deverter is the reasaon the steps want retract but he dosn't know where it is located.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I know nothing about these things and there is no one within 90 miles of my town that works on motorhomes.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Maybe get another opinion on that. The inverter/charger would be responsible for the batteries being charged, but that wouldn't keep the steps from retracting as long as the cables are clean and the batteries viable. Most step problems are due to low voltage or dirty cables, especially the ground lead to the chassis. She needs to find someone who knows what is going on here and it doesn't sound like this person knows much about RVs. If the batteries are over 3 years old, there is a good chance that they need to be replaced or perhaps just a good charging. Load testing is the only way to tell that. I new inverter may cost several thousand dollars, so you don't want to guess here! She would be better off paying a mobile tech to come out and make a service call. Or even do a phone chat with me and get some "hands on" instruction. $9 more, but no time limit or on number of calls. Optional and not required for more follow up using this format. All follow ups are included in our fee.