RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

My 2006 jayco eagle travel trailer gas furnace comes on for

Customer Question
about 10 seconds then the...
My 2006 jayco eagle travel trailer gas furnace comes on for about 10 seconds then the fire goes out. In about 30 sec it cycles again. Gas bottle is on and thermostat set to 85. What do I do to make furnace stay on?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts as usual but will not maintain flame. Cuts off after about 10 seconds.
JA: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried turning both tanks on at same time, readjusting thermostat, thumping thermostat. Gas stove works fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That,s about it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
1/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

It may not be a simple fix. It could be an issue with the LP, electrode, or circuit board.

When you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination. Assuming you have good LP pressure (only way to know is check with a manometer) then it could be a circuit board or electrode issue, the electrode will send a signal to the circuit board when the flame is going, once the board does not see that signal then it will shut down. You need good LP and spark for it to stay running.

IF you have an outside access panel remove that and locate the circuit board, pull the connector on the board and make sure the contacts on the board are clean, you can use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Next I would have a RV shop test the board to see if it is the problem, most RV shops and stores have a special board tester so you can remove the board and have it tested, if the board test good then I might replace the electrode.

Some RVS do not have an outside access panel, it will just have an intake and exhaust, if that is the case it makes it more difficult to get at the board.

IF you like I can send you a service manual but need to know the make and model of the furnace.....

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cannot find make and model info but there is a sticker on furnace saying clean board contacts and references Manual MPD 93755 or 93756. Can you email manual?

Let me look... give me a few

Robert

That number you gave me is for an Atwood water heater, in your question you said Furnace.

I think you are looking at the water heater, you should also see a round port on the side of the RV for the furnace. Some have a raised panel with some screws you remove to access the back of the furnace, OR there will be NO panel, just round ports.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The furnace is the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will get more identifying info tomorrow and try again. Thanks

I understand that the numbers you supplied are for a water heater so I do not think you are looking at the furnace.

It could be an Atwood, Click HERE this manual covers all atwoods...

Robert

I am around daily and respond when I can, no hurry on my end...

Robert

Was just checking in to see if you need more help on this, please let me know...

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic