RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

My lowbeams wont come on-my highbeams work though, 1990

Customer Question
My lowbeams wont come on-my...
My lowbeams wont come on-my highbeams work though
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 1990 Tiffin OpenRoad 31b
JA: What is the model of your '90 RV?
Customer: 38 thousand miles-she's a bute
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, I'm not close to any RV service center so I have to do it myself. I'm tested most o the fuse. and will try to trace the wires.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: that's the problem. I don't have a wiring diagram and I've looked everywhere.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The most common causes of this problem are either a bad dimmer switch or loose connection. Testing with a 12 VDC test light is the best way to try and track this down. You should be able to get some wiring diagrams from Tiffin. I am adding a link to their site for you. Once you have those, please get back to me if you need some additional input from me here as all follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected. http://tiffinmotorhomes.com/contact

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Randall,
I have a multimeter and the wires are easy to trace so I will try that. I will also check the link and get back to you. My wife and I are new to RVing but love it already.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will keep the call option in mind. Thanks again!

You might want to pick up a good 12 VDC test light as well. Very handy and easier to use on this sort of diagnosis. A "test ground" is helpful as well. Just a length of wire with an alligator clip on each end. Lots to learn about RVing and all the little preventative maintenance things you need to do each year. Don't neglect the LP pressure at the tank regulator and the batteries and cables. Many LP and electrical issues can be tracked down to those items. I will offer you my own phone chat option here which is less money and more versatile than the one the site offers. Totally optional! Thanks for giving us a "shout" here at Just Answer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will, more than likely, take advantage of this offer. Just not today. This is a weekend job for me and in the daylight. I will get the 12 VDC test light as well. Saturday is good for me.

I will be around all day. I am in Northern California and we got 18" of snow a few nights ago and I live off grid and am snowed in for a bit!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow! You Boodocker you! ��
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Boondocker that is

Yep! The only power I have is what I make myself. Can be a challenge for sure!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nice! We're living in ours for the past 4 months. Moving south to grow our own food.

Know all about that.......one reason we bought this place a few years ago.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good deal buddy. I will ping you in a couple of days.

10-4

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification