Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

1983 e 350 rv and fuel gauge is not working on either tank,

Customer Question

1983 e 350 rv and fuel gauge is not working on either tank, installed new pumps in each tank. bought new switch valve but cannot find proper wiring diagram to switch the switch valve because they do not make the old style anymore had to update to a 1985 f 350 switch valve but not sure if that has a affect on the fuel gauge or not?
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '83 Ford?
Customer: econoline 26 foot class c motorhome
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: could the oil sending unit have anything to do with the fuel gauge? it runs fine on either tank but fuel gauge will not work on either tank
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

No, the oil sending unit has nothing to do with the fuel system gauge. Did you find out if the new sending units have power? I would do that and then see if you are getting a signal to the gauge or the tank switch. You might try your local Ford dealerships for some wiring diagrams or try a site like Faxon Automotive Literature or Lloyd's Automotive Literature or E-Bay for some chassis manuals which would have the wiring diagrams. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.