Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My trailer has a Suburban NT 16se furnace that suddenly

Customer Question

My trailer has a Suburban NT 16se furnace that suddenly stopped heating. The thermostat still turns the furnace fan on and off but there is no heat. I have confirmed I have plenty of propane. There are no visible obstructions in the air intake/exhaust. The sail switch moves freely and appears to be functioning properly. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

The most common cause if this is a bad control board. These are made in China and poor quality. I only sell a good after market board made in Oregon in my shop made by Dinosaur Electronics. If this is a furnace made after about 2002 then that board is called a "Fan 50 Plus" version. You can remove your board and take it into a shop for testing. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Justanswer is asking me to rate my experience. Once my furnace is working, I will rate our interaction. So far you only provided the most basic information which I already guessed as a possible cause based on internet research. Hardly $29 worth of assistance. Any tips or hints regarding removing the furnace and removing the control board would be appreciated. Youtube is a little thin on that information.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

You don't have to remove the furnace to get to the control board and remove for testing. Once you get the board checked and rule out that as a proximate cause we can proceed to the next step. I have you the most probable cause of this problem, but not the only cause of the problem. We can discuss this in a phone chat if you want and cover whatever you need to know and how to do further tests without a trip to the shop which will cost way over the $29 here.

Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

I suppose I should have said that you don't have to remove the complete furnace here, but only have to pull the "guts" out of the housing. That requires removing one screw in the front and disconnecting the LP line and removing the power plug to the furnace. Much easier to do this over the phone, but you decide if that is worth the added 5 bucks.

Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

You might find the attached manual link helpful. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/subntnew.pdf

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was traveling when I requested assistance. I'm home now and should be able to have the control board tested to see if that's the problem. Should be able to wrap this up soon, or discuss what else it could be. Thanks, I'll let you know what happens.
Expert:  Randall replied 6 months ago.

10-4. Let me know if you need more input on this.