Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

The refrigerator is not cooling down enough, 2013

Customer Question

the refrigerator is not cooling down enough
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2013 Pleasureway TD. Ford.
JA: What is the model of your '13 RV?
Customer: Ford 350 extended body
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have taken it my mechanic several times. They tested it on 120,12v,and gas. They replaced a thermostat? The fridge worked for a few days - by that I mean it got cold like it used to, and the fan would turn on occasionally like it used to. Then the fridge went back to not working as well. I took it back to them, they tested it again, and said it was getting to temp. They also installed on on/off switch for the fans that I could manually turn on and off. I just got back from a trip - and although items in the fridge were slightly cool, it took over 24 hours to make ice cubes and the items felt barely cooler than room temperature. The fan never came on by itself. I ran the fan for one hour and no change in temperature. I also had the cold setting to it's coldest.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No, the vehicle is fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing i can think of.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What is the make and model of the fridge???

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if you need more help on this, please let me know, follow ups are included...

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The manual I have is for Dometic RM8501,RM8505,RM8551,RM8555,RML8551,RML8555. I don't know which one is actually mine. I looked on the fridge- but couldn't find any reference to the model number.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

Let me take a look at that as well.. It will take about 2-4 hours for the fridge to cool, if you go to the outside access you should have a vertical canister and on the canister are some wires, if you are trying to run it on AC power that area should feel VERY hot to the touch, if so then it is trying to cool.... Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mostly dry camp, which means I am on the gas setting most of the time. I'll be heading down in a bit to check on the fridge. I turned it on yesterday for a mechanic to check on it today. I will check the area you suggested. Also- just because a mechanic is coming out today, doesn't mean I don't want your input, I need the second opinion. Thank you!
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

OK

I do not have much info on this particular model, one thing I would do that I do not see you mentioned is the door seals, get a dollar bill and shut it inside the door all the way around, if the bill falls in any areas at all then it is just a spot where warm air can get inside the fridge and it will not cool very well so make sure the seals are good, make sure everything is clear around the vents as well. IT could be a cooling unit issue, make sure the fridge is level, if the fridge is off-level then it may not want to cool well or cool poorly.

I would think with another tech coming he should be able to pin this down some more, make sure you tell him everything that was checked or replaced and make sure the door seals have not been over looked..... Let me know if you need more help on this..... Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok- will do!
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

No problem at all...

If you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a star rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping out, you can still follow up if needed, I am around daily and respond when I can... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The mechanic came out and basically knocked loose carbon and debris off the pilot light and surrounding area. This allowed the flame to become bigger and now the fridge is cooling properly. Thank you anyway for your suggestions - the more information I acquire the better.
Expert:  Robert replied 6 months ago.

I am very glad the issue is resolved. I try my very best and it can be a challenge online.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping. IF you are not satisfied please let me know....

Robert