RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just purchased a 2012 Forest River 27HFS Hyperlite and…

I just purchased a...

I just purchased a 2012 Forest River 27HFS Hyperlite and want to winterize myself. Any pointers? This is my first travel trailer.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Forest River?

27' HFS Hyperlite

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I need to verify that the previous owner winterized correctly. I haven't done anything thus far. I don't have the manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well, yes. I towed last night with a 2007 Toyota Tundra 4.7L and I think the tongue weight may be to heavy. Can I safely tow?

12/28/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

I can help you with this..... To start all the tanks should be drained, you should be able to tell on the monitor panel. Next the water heater should be empty and bypassed. Go to the outside access panel for the water heater and remove the cover, look on the bottom of the water heater for a large plastic or brass plug, sometimes owners will leave them out after they winterize and bypass the water heater. IF it is still in I would pull it and make sure the water heater is empty. IF water was allowed to freeze inside the water heater it would be a big issue. Make sure the water pump is OFF and the breaker for the water heater.

On the opposite side of the outside access you should have a hot, cold and bypass valve, the hot cold and cold should be closed, or valve handle against the pipe and the bypass open or valve handle running with the pipe. The reason for doing this it allows you to add the non toxic antifreeze into the system. Some RVS will have a clear tube near the water pump with a valve, you turn the valve, stick the line into the jug and turn the water pump on and it will draw the antifreeze from the system. Run all the faucets until you see the pink solution, flush the toilet etc.... Then you dump about 1 cup of antifreeze down all your traps, (sinks, shower toilet).......

IF you see the pink solution now then it has been winterized. The other method is compressed air and that is an option if you do not want to use the antifreeze, everything would have to be drained and then you hook up a blow out plug to the city water connector and add about 40 psi with all your faucets open. Most RV stores sell the blow out plugs and the three way valve kits for adding the antifreeze. The plumbing is the most important part when you store these. I also might remove the battery until you are ready to use it again, this will prevent it from running down or being overcharged if the unit is going to be plugged in.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Follow ups are included... Robert

Not sure on the other part with the towing would need to check into that and see what your weight limits are.

SO I just looked at the specs on the Tundra it can tow up to 7800 lbs. The GROSS on the 27HFS is 8079 SO you are going to be hard pressed to tow with the tundra, if all your tanks were empty and not loaded down then it would be possible, fully loaded, NO.......

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Have a Safe and Happy New Year..... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic