Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3870FK. I have dc voltage

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3870FK. I have dc voltage fluctuation from 5.9 to 14. What could cause this problem? Where is the DC power convertor located on this rv?
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 3870FK
JA: What is the model of your '12 RV?
Customer: 3870FK
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I have a battery charger on the battery to make sure it is charged fully. I've tried locating the problem at the power panel. Everything is okay through the 240 volt supply. Suspect it is the power convertor.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Battery looks good; charging now to make sure it is a full charge.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is very cold here and it seems to possibly have caused some problems. Thanks!
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

First off many RV'S you can not plug into 240 direct, in a RV a 50 amp service is 2 120 hot legs coming in to equal 240, 240 direct can damage the appliances and converter so want to clear that up...... Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understood, and thats what I have
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

IF the incoming AC voltage is good then it has to be the converter or an auto breaker problem, sometimes they will put a thermal breaker on the charge line to the converter, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery, sometimes they can get corroded. When they heat up they break contact, when they cool off they self reset, I have seen techs replace converters when the breaker is the problem.

The converter will be part of the main breaker/fuse panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet, the stand alone can be about anywhere, under the fridge, stove, behind the breaker panel near the entry step or by the batteries. IF it is outside many times you will see a vented panel. Try and follow the battery cables and see where they are going into the RV if possible.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Breaker...

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Also on that breaker you would want to see the same voltage on each post, if the voltage is cycling on one side and not the other it is the problem, you might also have more then one so if you see any check for voltage to ground on each post. Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert