Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Trying to start the engine, all the lights in the dashboards

Customer Question

Trying to start the engine , all the lights in the dashboards don't turn on and hear a click when rotate the keys but nothing happen, batteries are good , all other electrical parts like lights radio horn vents working , trying also with the batterie of the house and same storie
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No yet
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: Sightseer 2004
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How to start
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

That can be caused from several things. What is the actual model number of your coach? If I have that I may be able to pull up some wiring diagrams that would help and if you have either a small digital multimeter or a 12 VDC test light that would be helpful here. About $20 and $5 respectively at most hardware stores and easy to use. Get back to me with this information and I can try to direct you further in tracking this down. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sightseer 2004, 30-B length 36
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

See the attached link to the front end wiring diagrams for this year and model which includes the fuses. Check those first and use a meter or test light to see if the fuse for the instrument panel is good and if there is power to it and through it. If so, then you would want to check the connections under the dash for a loose plug connection. Let me know what you find and we can move on from there. Print these out as they are handy to have. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2004/04_d-ser_wire_144607.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

See the attached link for the complete set of wiring diagrams for this year and model. Great to have! http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2004/04_d30b_70167473018.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I couldn't fix
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

So did you decide to take it into a shop?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would like to have a diagnosis from you
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

I can't give you that without knowing what you found out using the test light or meter here. Did you see if there was power into the fuse for the instruments or not?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Don't start from the basics, I don't need to pay for that answers , sorry I waste my time and money
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

I think this may be over your skill level and perhaps you should enlist the help from a good local mobile tech. This shouldn't take more than 30 minutes in most cases to track down and fix. Many electrical issues are just not good DIY projects. I will opt out of this an allow another tech to offer something if they have another suggestion for you.

Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will bw glad to try to help. Test for power on both sides of your fuses with a test light or volt meter and replace any fuses with power only on one side. Swap relays with a known good one for testing purposes. Clean , inspect and tighten all battery to starter connections including all grounds as a poor connection can cause these symptoms. Verify power at the small S terminal at the starter solenoid while the key is in the cranking position as there should be. If so and the battery "tests" good with a digital battery tester for bad cells or other internal problems then it leads to a faulty starter solenoid. Let me know

Hi, Did you get this resolved?