RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Just finished replacing the converter. however still do not…

Customer Question
Just finished replacing the...

Just finished replacing the converter. however still do not have shore power. what should we check next

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2010 forest river rockwood

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 RV?

Not sure will look for paper work

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. we replaced the converter

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: RV
11/29/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

Just so I am clear are you missing ALL the AC power? are the outlets working, microwave etc? Without the AC power the power converter can not make the DC power.

Do you happen to have a genertor built into your RV?

Robert

No this is a travel trailer.

OK, That is what I thought but always ask, Are you missing ALL the AC power when you are plugged in? Outlets, Microwave, TV's?

Robert

Husband is not here but I just replaced converter and when I plugged in and flipped breakers on there is still no powerwhat do I check next

OK

But it really matters to know if you have AC power. Without the AC power you are not going to have DC power and it will help me point you in the right direction. Need to know if the outlets have power when you are plugged in is the microwave working, TVS? It is possible to have the AC power but be missing the DC power, the DC power would be items like the lights, water pump, furnace, fridge.... IF you want to check and get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can... Robert

let me check it out

OK.......

Ok no AC power, outlet dead microwave no power

OK

Have a few more questions for you then...

What power source are you plugged into?? Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord you plug in with? Have you tried plugging into another power source? Sometimes extension cords and adapters can cause issues and running on a standard household outlet can also cause issues....

We can go back and forth as much as needed with this. Robert

I am plugged into 110 with adapter and extension cord. I did switch adapter and cords after it did not work. still not working should I try to connect to generator which has 30amp plug in

I would recommend plugging into a 30 amp service direct, if you have used the generator before then try that and see if you get all your power back, IF SO then you know it is not going to work using a 110 outlet, when you do that you can have line loss and things will fail, especially if you are using cords. The longer the run to the supply the more line loss you can have.

Some owners will do it and sometimes you can get away with running a few items, the other possibility is the outlet has an issue, for that I would get a polarity tester to make sure the outlet has the correct polarity.... Robert

IF you plug in to a 30 amp and still have no power, then it could be the cord or a connection issue right at the breaker panel....

Also make sure you do not have any tripped GFIS inside the RV, they are normally in the bathroom and or galley. Sometimes they can be outside as well, they will be outlets with a test and rest on them.... Robert

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.....

Robert