RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have just traded for a 1999 Winnebago Grand tour 37b and

Customer Question
can't get the furnace...
I have just traded for a 1999 Winnebago Grand tour 37b and can't get the furnace to light. I put gas valves and igniter in our 96 Rex hall but I am trying to see how to get to furnace. It's under floor and unless the outside body comes off. Do you have any thoughts?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: No lights I'm about the furnace
JA: What is the model of your '99 RV?
Customer: Vector Grand tour 37b
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can try any thing until I can get to it.it doesn't sound like the igniter is working
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
11/27/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you need

On most earlier models there will be an outside inspection cover you remove or fold down (depending on the make and model of furnace) to access the control board. On some Suburban models there won't be one and the furnace has to be removed from the inside to get to the controls. If the motor won't come on at all be sure that the fuse is good in the load center and that the thermostat isn't the issue first. Get back to me with the make and model and I can direct you further here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a suburban and I just found diagram that says outside panel comes off. The blower runs but doesn't ignite. I think I've said that already

I may have missed that if you did. Take the outside inspection cover off and the control board is on the extreme left side. It just unplug from the harness and you remove the high tension lead. Check for lint in the plug and that the tang is clean. If you are sure it is making good contact and when you put it back in you still have no ignition, then have the board tested at a local shop. If this is the OEM board it may be bad and need replacing and I recommend an after market board made by Dinosaur Electronics as they are far superior to the OEM boards and have an outstanding warranty should you ever need it. Shop around as the price varies. That would be an UIB-S version and they run about $90 or so. If the board tests out good, we can run a few tests with a 12 VDC test light and track this down. I can supply a manual and direct you in that.

See the attached link for a copy of the Suburban manual..........http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/SFseriesservice.pdf

I would also have the LP working pressure checked at the tank regulator unless this has been done recently. Be sure that the LP is turned on at the tank and the LP detector on the floor level. Sometimes this has been turned off and all that is needed is for LP to flow again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK my question was can I get to the furnace if I take the body panel off? I haven't found any other way to get to it. The furnace is under the shower and below floor level
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The stove and hot water both have been working

If you have an outside inspection panel over the exhaust and intake you can access the furnace by removing the screws that hold it in place. If you don't have one, then the furnace has to be removed from the inside.

That requires that the LP line be taken loose and be sure you have a 3/8" flare plug for plugging that line off when you take it out. The LP has to be turned off and the gas in the lines burned off from the stove top.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The exhaust is not big enough to access but I will take that off tomorrow and try to take body panel off and see if there is an access panel

No body panels have to be removed here! If the furnace has no panel just for that it has to be removed from the inside. If you aren't sure, attach a photo of the outside area to your post using the paperclip icon.

Look at the drawing in the manual link I gave you.........it shows the furnace panel if you have that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is below the floor and boxed in . I just took a pic

That has to come out from the rear. I suspect you have to remove a panel from the side of the storage bay to get to that. Not sure that would be a great DIY project unless you are very mechanically minded. You might want to enlist a good mobile tech to assist you here if you don't want to go into the shop. Good job on the photo!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just so you know I answered my own question and want you to see that you do have to take the body panel loose and it hinges up and it does come out from outside. I sent you a pic for proof. I thought you might help but was wrong. I would appreciate it if you refund my card. Thanks *****

Good for you! Refund will be submitted for you.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification